• Register Today It's free!

cruise control question

High_Order1

Reaction score
City, State
near Oak Ridge, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Jack Bauer Edition
I've read a bit on here. Many say that the cruise control can be fixed with a simple switch replacement. A couple even say that it somehow affects the TCC.

I start reading about it in the Service DVD (it refers to it as Speed Control, and can be very, very hard to find).

There apparently are two switches. One for RSC - equipped vehicles (its' under the dash at the brake pedal) and one for the rest (plugs into the top front end of the brake master cylinder).

What do you do if you have an 05 with RSC, cruise, cruise not working, and no switch in either position like the DVD says???

-Shawn

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

withRSC.jpg

noRSC.jpg

This what y'all are talking about?? I don't seem to have either....

Shawn

Edit. Mine is the top one. Both of those screengrabs came from the 05 service DVD, so apparently the difference is if you have RSC (Roll Stability Control).

well...

$23 dollars later from the dealership, I walked out with part number 3M5Z-9F924-AC. It looks like the one under the dash. More later....

-Shawn

okkkkk......

Wow. Thanks for all the input!

The weather finally cleared up, so I installed the switch. I haven't been able to run a chart to see if this has affected the TCC, and (stupidly) I forgot to see if it in fact solved my no cruise problem (I'll check that tomorrow, hopefully).

So, here is how you replace the switch:

No tools.

Five minutes.

Super simple.

Here is a photo taken from the doorwell facing inward:

location-1.jpg

Not too clear, I apologize.

Here is a view from the reverse angle, looking out from the floorwell:

location-2.jpg

Don't confuse the switch that controls the brake lamps with the switch they sold me to replace:

close-up-of-switch.jpg

This is a pic of the new switch:

the-new-switch-1.jpg

And, here is the new and old switch:

new-vs-old.jpg

Notice one is longer than the other? Recall above that the manual says you get one shot at installing this. If you muff up, you gotta throw the switch away and start over. What I noticed was two little white **** (I know, right??) that nest in the locking collar.

What happens is that this thing twists into place. As you do this, those little protrusions (for those of you offended by the word ****), twist also, releasing the switch rod, ensuring a correct clearance, kinda like how the rod pops out on a hydraulic clutch.

I also noticed that you can depress the rod, and twist the **** with a multitool, and it appears to reset, so, there's that for what its' worth.

step by step

1 - unsnap the teeny harness. I used the car key to slide it out.

2 - twist the switch about one quarter turn TOWARDS the drivers side door. It didn't take much force. Pull it straight down and out.

3 - stay offa the brake pedal, push the new one in, and turn it one quarter turn AWAY from the drivers' side door.
4 - reinstall the harness.

Thats' really it!

I don't know when they changed this from the one on the master cylinder, to in here, but it was hard finding any data at all on this. I hope someone googling cruise control switch ford explorer finds this helpful!

Shawn

okkkkk......

Wow. Thanks for all the input!

I think there was no input because it seems you were answering all your posts as you went along. Did it work out for you?

actually i never saw the post, . . on holiday
good job and good write up. :thumbsup:
didn't know the RSC had the pedal switch. . so no master cyl switch?

:popcorn:

I'm so glad I found this thread...I think it MIGHT solve my problems!

Question tho, how do you know if you have the RSC or not? I'm going to assume I do, but I'm not sure. I have an 05 XLT with Advance trac....is that the RSC?

I'm still debating on if this is going to be my problem or if the remote start that was installed is what is causing my CC problems....the light doesn't even turn on on the dash for the cruise when you try turning it on.

Rondo -
There was like a three month gap anyone could have chimed in. The first posts were broken up because of pictures or something like that.

jrford -

Trying to remember. Seems like there may have been one out there, but it was for brake pressure, and not connected to the cruise at all.

syst3merror -

I swear the ass end of mine has RSC on it. I could be wrong, this has been a while, but I think advance trac and RSC are different. I *think* AT has to do with traction control, and RSC is an accelerometer that is tied to something that can modulate the brakes and the throttle if it thinks you're getting into a curve a little too aggressively.

At any rate....

This did NOT fix the cruise. Because I am still learning the new datalogging software, I don't have any data to tell me if it affected TCC lockup, either.

I don't know if the switch was bad to start with, if it got burnt up or installed wrong, or if there was another issue up/downstream and I jumped places in the troubleshooting because this sounded like a simple fix. (shrugs)

More to follow...

Shawn

Did you ever solve your problem? I have the same thing going on. Same year with the RSC and same switch. I had the evaporator replaced in the dash, and after I got it back, no cruise control.....

Paul

Back