ABS Light and Cruise Control Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS Light and Cruise Control Question

piperRonnie

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Subject Vehicle: 2002 XLT, 4WD, 37k miles
Problem: ABS light came on, but the cruise control still works, so does 4WD.

Question: If the rear speed sensor is at fault, the cruise control will not work either. Is this a solid fact for the 2002 MY? If it is, then I may be screwed and have to go to a dealer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

weird... my cruise control has had issues (stalling when decel under ~35). I took it to the dealership a week ago and they couldn't find it. On my way home my ABS light came on.

It's currently at the dealership to fix cruise control and ABS light issue now....

04 XLT

My ABS light was on but my cruise worked fine. I replaced the rear sensor and now everything is working. I have noticed in the forum, if the cruise is not working and the abs light is on, it is a problem with the sensor on the master cylinder, not the rear sensor.

Hope this helps

The dealership just called to say that they're replacing the sensor on the master cyl and the ABS module.

The dealership just called to say that they're replacing the sensor on the master cyl and the ABS module.

Thats what dealer did when they fixed mine too, same symptoms.

2003, my cruise was not working, and ABS light was on sometimes.

I replace rear speed sensor, changed fluid in noisy rear end and put a pin through the wires going to the master cly switch to bypass it.

Cruise now works, abs light out and stepping on the break turns off the cruise. What purpose the switch on the master cly serves is beyound me, unless its a back up to the brake pedal switch.

What does it actually mean if your ABS light is on? Is it something that needs to be taken care of immediately?

The light means the ABS has a malfunction somewhere and it will not activate the pump. You still have your normal brakes, only the ABS pump will not kick on. A serious brake problem is when the Brake light illuminates.

BTW: I'm picking up a rear speed sensor later today in hopes that it will fix my ABS light.

To PiperRonnie, be advised that the top of the rear end is very dirty and needs to be blown off before you remove the old sensor. You could dump dirt into it.

Also, I tried just changing the rear speed sensor and it helped, but did not solve the problem. The other two items did fix it.

The needle though the wires, Or disconnect and jump out the wires to the master cly to troubleshoot it. You might try that before you change the rear sensor. Thats what seemed to fix mine. Its easy and take 2 mins vs changing the pain in the butt rear speed sensor.

My cruise control would occasionaly quit without the ABS light being on. Sometimes the ABS light would come on and this would always mean the cruise would not work. The cruise could quit working either way. I replaced the switch on the front on the brake MC and this solved the problem. $19 part.

It's wierd, my abs light was on and the cruise control still worked.
This winter i was out playing in the snow and I drove through a 2 foot snow drift at about 20 mph. On my way home the abs light went off. I slammed on the brakes on the slick road and the abs was working. The abs light has been out for a month and hasn't come back since. I never replaced anything and it cleared up on its own.:)

My ABS light has been on for some time. Figured it was the rear sensor since the front has been changed. Just replaced it today and light is still on. Does it take a while to reset on it's own, do I have to have it cleared, or can I disco the batt for 15mins and reset it.

I assume a dealership is going to charge me to read it.

My '02 Exp V6 has the ABS and E-brake light on at the same time. The dash info center gives me a "brake fluid level" error. The fluid is fine and the switch on the master cylinder has just been replaced. I'm going to change the ABS module on the rear axle. Could the brake fluid level switch in the reservoir be bad and can it be replaced?

Had a friend at Midas do an ABS scan with their analyzer. They said their system could not communicate with my ABS system?!! Take it to a dealer was their option! Any ideas with this?

ABS speed sensor on rear axle replaced but no improvement. Another brake shop hooked the X up to their system and it could not communicate either. OBD II fuse is good and so are all the other fuses in the power dist. box. Suspect it to be either the ABS power module mounted to the ABS pump under the left headlight or new brakes and rotors. Any thoughts?

ABS/Cruise

I had an intermittent problem with my 03 EB with the ABS light coming on, but wasn't a problem for several months. Then the cruise quit. Based on the advice in this forum, I unplugged the pressure switch from the master cylinder and crossed the wire connection with a paper clip. The cruise control then worked.I replaced the switch and have had no abs light or cruise problems since. Thanks for the valuable advice!!

My ABS light...

...comes on once and a while and when it is on my cruise doesn't work. Sometimes it goes away on its own and always goes away when I shut off the car. Any ideas on what to replace?

I hooked it up and the error code said something about pressure differences or something.

No, I replaced the rear speed and still have the ABS light on.
The local Ford dealer said it would $100+ just to have me bring in the truck and them to scan it.

j4s0ni2ice: Where did you get it scanned at?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Scanned...

At my work. We aren't supposed to because it's a City and they are only supposed to work on City vehicals. I got the code again though... it was a C1440. So I plugged it through ALLDATA here at work and there is a sequence of 8 tests I need to do. Probably this weekend.

If you have the same problem as me, email me and I can scan the Sequence Tests into a .pdf and forward them to you.

Back