Current VALUE for Limited, EB, ETC. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Current VALUE for Limited, EB, ETC.

sidneyhop

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 AWD Limited
Im curious as to the value of a 2000 Limited AWD V8 in good condition with about 93K miles, but also in the value of a lot of others too.

With the cash for clunkers program, there seems to be a surplus of explorers out there to choose from.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems like the value of the exploders is all over the map. More or less it depends on where you live. I have seen everything from $500 all the way up to $9000 for a 1999 Mercury Mounty AWD 5.0 with really low miles. That thing must have spent most of its life in a climate controlled garage. Everything looked brand new. I have been watching e-bay pretty religously for the last month or so, average around the new england region is about 2500 - 3000. Weird thing is that it really doesnt seem to matter very much which model it is, (explorer, mounty, ex sport, 2x4, 4x4, awd, 6cyl or 8)they all seem to be getting the same range.

yeah, Ive noticed the 'blending' of them too. It seems like after the gas crisis everyone's looking for more efficient / smaller cars, so doesnt matter what kind of ex it is, its still an ex.

Heres one I was looking at on ebay. He ran it before and no one met his minimum so he posted it again. Nice truck, and right around the 3000 mark you mentioned.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_16339wt_1167

You know whats funny? I have yet to see anybody take the pictures I want to see. I live where the salt hits the road usually in November and doesnt stop until April or May. So I look at rust trouble spots. Typical for the EX family is the rockers at the back doors, around the wheelwells, anywhere along the area where the running boards touch the truck. EVERY seller that I have asked to send me pics of that area has never replied to me. I also ask them about all the typical symptoms of well known problems. Not 1 single response out of about 20 sellers.

If they sent you a pic with it all eaten up would you still buy it?

Its been years since Ive had the 'pleasure' of dealing with all those rust issues. Down here in FL we dont see much of it unless youre right on the ocean, then it can get bad. Im not so I dont worry.

I remember my first car though, a 65 mustang coupe. Theyre synonymous with frame rust and mine had it bad. I lived it MI at the time and the winters were brutal. The whole right side kinda collapsed, it was bad. Then my mom backed into it and mashed in the entire front. I didnt drive it much after that.

yeah, Ive noticed the 'blending' of them too. It seems like after the gas crisis everyone's looking for more efficient / smaller cars, so doesnt matter what kind of ex it is, its still an ex.

Heres one I was looking at on ebay. He ran it before and no one met his minimum so he posted it again. Nice truck, and right around the 3000 mark you mentioned.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_16339wt_1167

I just bought a 2000 eddie bauer explorer with 5.0, black/tan, new tires, brakes, alternator, battery and 128K miles for $3,500.

It has a little rear end sag, drivers door lock switch won't open doors (but will lock), oil gauge below the limiter, back up alarm not working, a non displaying radio, center console lid was recovered but does not sit down on the console properly and the moon roof headliner is sagging a bit by the handle.

So, with the bad I thought it was an OK deal since it was a one owner and all service done at the ford dealer.....including oil changes. With a $200 stereo I don't think the other repairs will cost much and they are easy enough to do myself.......thanks ONLY to this site and the wizards that help us rookies!! Thanks again!!!!

Check www.traderonline.com as they have a ton of explorers on there from around the country and some "seemingly" awesome deals from the descriptions. I saw several in the $2-3K range that looked great.......of course NONE of them mention all the little "bad" things like I mentioned above......that most of them probably have. From the pix you can see many of them have the rear end sag!!

You can always go to www.nadaguides.com to check the regional trade in and retail values for any vehicle.

Im curious as to the value of a 2000 Limited AWD V8 in good condition with about 93K miles, but also in the value of a lot of others too.

With the cash for clunkers program, there seems to be a surplus of explorers out there to choose from.

Actually, the opposite should be the case. Explorers/Mountaineers were the most common vehicle to turned in to the "welfare for car buyers" program, thereby reducing the available supply of those vehicles; as any vehicle turned in to that "program" had to have the engine destroyed, and could only be used for parts.

You can always go to www.nadaguides.com to check the regional trade in and retail values for any vehicle.

Kelley Blue Book- PRIVATE PARTY, GOOD CONDITION value is usually pretty close, assuming you input accurate data (mileage, equipment,etc...) and honestly assess the condition., as well a factor in any things like new parts, which add to the value.

Both craigslist and ebay tend to show a "too-low" value, at least for decent vehicles.

In my area (Northeast), assuming good condition, the vehicle you mentioned should bring approx. $3500-$4000; although the car market usually dies out just before christmas, until a few weeks after new year's.

Have you found when you compare NADA and KBB that their vehicles are usually overpriced by a good amount?

Ive strongly suspected those price guides are sponsored by car dealers to give consumers an inflated perception of what cars are really worth. Also if you look at trade in value is usually ridiculously low, another hint as to their source.

Both craigslist and ebay tend to show a "too-low" value, at least for decent vehicles.

In my area (Northeast), assuming good condition, the vehicle you mentioned should bring approx. $3500-$4000; although the car market usually dies out just before christmas, until a few weeks after new year's.

I totally agree with you about ebay. Ive seen some ridiculously low prices on there for cars, but usually the reserve is never met. Sometimes however some real deals can be had.

Perfect example as to my view that KBB and NADA are overpriced is that limited I mentioned earlier. Private party KBB with all the options it comes in at 6450.00, and I dont even want to mention what the retail price is.

Have you found when you compare NADA and KBB that their vehicles are usually overpriced by a good amount?

Ive strongly suspected those price guides are sponsored by car dealers to give consumers an inflated perception of what cars are really worth. Also if you look at trade in value is usually ridiculously low, another hint as to their source.

Dealers use "Galves" when buying vehicles and/or selling wholesale. It is based on recent actual slaes history at dealer-only auctions across the country. If I remeber right it comes out every 2-3 months, and it is not generally available to the public, nor would you want to pay the subscription rate!

When I sell a vehicle (I'm not a dealer, I fix and sell on the side, from my driveway.), I go to the KBB private party first, as a baseline. I then cross check that value with local comparable listings on cars.com. They are usually in line, when adjusted for vehicle condition/equipment/mileage/etc.... I don't like NADA. It is usually off, sometimes way too high, and sometimes too low. As I sadi, I use KBB.com as my "target", and I nearly always get within $500 of my initial asking price, so I'm pretty confident in it's accuracy, when used properly, as a GUIDE - not a definitive "written in stone" price. It can go up or down, depending.

I totally agree with you about ebay. Ive seen some ridiculously low prices on there for cars, but usually the reserve is never met. Sometimes however some real deals can be had.

Perfect example as to my view that KBB and NADA are overpriced is that limited I mentioned earlier. Private party KBB with all the options it comes in at 6450.00, and I dont even want to mention what the retail price is.

Actaully, disregard my previous price opinion. I was thinking it was a '98 for some reason. A 2000 V8,AWD,Limited with only 93k is going to be worth more than the # I posted. You didn't say exactly what equipment it has, as that could make a big difference. I just priced one on kbb.com, with a reasonable selection of options (power everything,sunroof,privacy,single cd, alloy wheels) and it came up with a "good" value of $5350. The range was about $4900 (poor) to just under $6000 (excellent). While FL, is going to be different, as a V8 AWD isn't really needed down there, vs up here in NJ/NY area; I would say that the $5300 price is pretty close for up here, if its clean, no major issues, and very few if any minor issues. Again, it's prob. worth a bit less in FL, as the AWD is just extra weight for you guys.

While FL, is going to be different, as a V8 AWD isn't really needed down there, vs up here in NJ/NY area; I would say that the $5300 price is pretty close for up here, if its clean, no major issues, and very few if any minor issues. Again, it's prob. worth a bit less in FL, as the AWD is just extra weight for you guys.

Very good point. Region has everything to do with the price now a days, especially because there are so damn many scam artists on the net it makes it impossible to sell or buy anything thats not within a few hours of you. I was looking for a couple of weeks for a new ex and literally 7 out of 10 that responded to my emails were scams "thank you for reply to car for sale by me, Im on holiday and not able to show, but send $ through ebay 3rd party" etc. I wish I was more computer savvy as Id LOVE to hack their system and crash em. Alas, will never happen :/

Back