• Register Today It's free!

Custom Exhaust Help?!?!?!

loanshark04

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
My name is Eric and i found this site a few days ago. I have a 1992 Ford Explorer XLT, and I love it, but i want to add an exhaust system that will make it sound badass and increase the performance of my truck. I've searched on a few websites, and i have found only one exhaust system that fits in Explorer's. It is a "GIBSON, SINGLESIDE EXIT, ALUMINIZED EXHAUST". It is $249.95, but they also have that same model in "STAINLESS STEAL" for $339.95. Is this a good product? It adds 15-20 HP and 15-20 lbs. of TORQUE. I am seriosly thinking of purchasing this product and any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. Please email me at " loanshark04@hotmail.com ".

P.S. - You can look at the picture that i did of the exhaust at www.performancecombos.com and going to 1992, 4DR 4.0 L V-6.

-Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the gibson is a good system if you can, go to a muffler shop and have them intall a flowmaster 40 series NON DELTA FLOW with 3 inch pipes out to the back, if you decide on that it will sound really sweet but make sure they do exactly that i have had big problems with muffler shops not listening to my direcions

i just took my exhaust off right after the cat it bolts apart
and is free but is not the most proper thing to do you may get hassled by the cops and it is pretty loud but if your a kid and low on money go for it, it is typicall kid thing to do

oh and other people will start speaking up about how bad this is but oh well

P.S. keep what you take off you need it to get a smog check

Yeah for sound it seems like the best (loudest) sound is the Flowmaster 40 non-delta. I don't think you want 3 inch pipes though. Something about lossing low end torque because there isn't enough backpressure with that big of a pipe on a 4.0. Someone else will know more about it.

I have a 4.0 V6 4x4. What kind of system should I get for it and what was the price you guys payed at a muffler shop for the entire thing? I am thinking about dual exhaust with a 50 to 70 series flowmaster. I want it louder, but not nauseatingly loud. I really just want it for the increased power and mpg. Any ideas fellas?

2 1/2 inch piping is as big as you want to go.

Good luck....

Eric -

Any good muffler shop should be able to do a custom cat back with whatever muffler you want for much less than if you buy the whole system from some performance parts place. Should be able to do the whole thing for under $200. Most muffler shops have a pipe bender so they can fab up just about anything you want.

I agree on the Flow 40 Non-Delta. I've had one for quite a while. Sounds good, not at all too loud. I think you'll like it. Plus they're not that expensive. Summit or Jegs sells them for $59.99.

Ditto on what Byrd91 said: Don't go with 3" pipe. You will lose low end torque. Don't go any bigger than 2.5".

As far as the performance increases you stated, most of the time the figures are exaggerated a bit to get you to buy the product. No real way of telling unless you do a before and after on a dyno.

aggieEB -

Stick with a single exhaust system. Duals really won't get you that much, and if not done right can decrease performance and economy. Plus they're hard to run on an Explorer. Save your money.

go with cherrybomb. I love my cherrybomb. it makes a good sound reving up to 4,600 then shifting. I also had experience with a raptor muffler. Not much performance or sound there.

I had a shop bend me dual exhaust with a dual in/dual out flowmaster 50 SUV muffler. I couldnt be happier with the setup. The guy did an excellent job. Worth every penny.

I was told by flowmaster that duels get you no more horses than single. If you want people to REALLY notice, go with 40 non delta. But if you want low rumble, go with 50 series delta (i have on mine). Everybody keeps saying that 40's not that loud, maybe ill try that next time.

I just had my exhaust put on this week. I had a Flowmaster 50 series SUV dual in /single out with 2-1/2 pipes with a side exit (45 degrees) with 2-1/2" chrome tip. It cost me $170 bucks, muffler pipes, and tip at a local muffler shop. It sounds awesome! At start up, it sounds just like a small block.
I went with a single out because unless you really put some money into it (more than just a muffler and pipes) a dual exhaust on a V6 just doesn't sound right. It might sound better than stock, but it won't sound like a 5.0 with duals. And I agree with Aldive, no bigger than 2-1/2" pipes, you will start losing back pressure. Which you will regret. Don't worry about all the real in depth details, if you will find a "good" muffler shop that will shoot straight with you. Not Midas or Pep Boys, go find a good redneck with a little common sense and they will tell you what works and what won't.
Install a KKM and a good exhaust and it will act a totally different truck.
Good luck.

Another vote for a custom setup. Pick a muffler that you like and have a muffler shop weld it all up for you. That's what I did and total investment was $250, but I have 2 mufflers, so yours should be around $200.

Exhaust

Here's what I chose-
A single stainless steel Dynomax UltraFlo(straight through) 2-in, 1-out, 2 1/4" stainless tailpipe, on my '99 OHV 4.0. It's a little louder than stock(nice rumble) and they have much better performance numbers than Flowmaster or even Borla. I've heard Flows on V-6's and V-8's and personally don't like the sound(no offense to you Flow guys out there, to each his own). Flows have metal baffles inside them which make for a metallic hissing sound. Dynomax have chambers with fiberglass, gives an aggressive, hotrod sound(like the bullet style glasspacks). The glasspacks from way back didn't last long, but the one's nowadays are made better. Their SuperTurbo model(not straight through) have been around for a long time and is an excellent performance muffler, would be one of my choices if I had a V-8(UltraFlo's too loud on V-8).

Back