• Register Today It's free!

Custom exhaust installed

BRacing

Reaction score
City, State
Northern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Sport
I had a custom exhaust installed last week, and here's the how and why FYI.

I have a 96 Sport 4.0, so i needed a custom exhaust setup because the aftermarket "cat-back" exhausts are made for 4 door models.

From my racing experiences, Flowmaster mufflers do NOT perform as well as others, but they do perform better than stock mufflers. My racing team uses MagnaFlow mufflers, because they have excellant flow numbers with a quiet sound.

My stock explorer has single exhaust that flows through 2 catalitic converters before going into the HUGE muffler and out the single pipe. The piping through the cat's is 2.25" in size, and then reduces to 2" in size at the flange after the cat through to the tip. The stock piping is made of stainless steel and is mandrel bent. The stainless steel piping should last forever.

I decided to use the stock piping, and replace the factory muffler with a 2.25 MagnaFlow muffler. We cut out the factory muffler, and then welded the MagnaFlow in place using adaptors and extensions since the Magnaflow was shorter and was a bigger diameter muffler. We then cut about 6" off the tip and welded on a slip-fit chrome tip just for looks.

I decided to use the stock piping for several reasons.
1. Cost - it's just cheaper to use the stock piping than fabricating new piping
2. Durability - Most shops will not have Stainless steel exhaust tubing.
3. Size - i could have upgraded the size, to 2.25 or 2.5, but the new bends in the tubing would have caused severe kinks in the system, yielding a DECREASED flow compared to the stock 2" mandrel bent tubing. If you find a shop that can do custom mandrel bends, there may be a benefit to upgrading to the 2.25 size, but be prepared to pay for the extremely high fabrication costs.

Results!
My 4.0L does not see usage beyond 5000RPMs, so a huge increase in flow is not necessary. I simply removed the major restriction from the exhaust system. The exhaust note is noticible, but not intrusive or excessive. The performance increase above 2500RPMs is noticeable. My gas milage increased from 24mpg to 26mpg commuting on the freeway at a constant 75mph.

This should cost less than $150 at any reputable muffler shop.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that's great. thanks for posting the info. i'm thinking about getting a new exhaust, and your post is very informative and helpful.

I also have a custom Magnaflow setup.

I got a Magnaflow single in/out (also a 96 sport) 2.25" and a custom 2.25" tailpipe. My stock tailpipe was all rusted (and it wasn't stainless or mandrel). The tailpipe is aluminized and not mandrel, but flows well and is in the stock location.

It performs really well and still sounds good, the sound only improves with each engine mod I do. It cost about $200 at a local muffler shop.

Alec

Do you have the 4.0L engine?
If you do, how did you supercharge it? Was it a kit or custom? I'm really interested in this...

Thanks

bbk supercharger, truckperformance.com. i think its 2400 from summit racing, i asked them about any discounts if we bought 3 and they said they couldnt do it, i was kinda ticked

Yes, it is the BBK Supercharger kit on my 96 OHV 4.0. It was $2900 from truckperformance.com. Summit does list it as 2400, but then you have to add the 600 install kit, which tp.com includes. I've been very happy with it. Use the search engine to search for "BBK" and "Alec" in the mods forum, in the last 2 years.

Back