• Register Today It's free!

Custom Ram Air Setup...Any ideas?

SeanM

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT 4.0L OHV 4WD 4dr
Ok...Here's the deal...I feel like my Explorer needs some cooler air to breath. I would love to just purchase some Ram Air setup that someone has already made for Explorers, but they do not exist in my experience. I will, therefore, make one(or at least, poorly attempt to build one). Any ideas as to materials, setup, orientation, perhaps reasons not to do it? I would love any input because I think this will help my engine breath a lot better...I have a '95 and it has a hole where the old air filter used to go that connected to somewhere in the front wheelwell(I think). But I want it to get the air from right in front of the grille(maybe a little below that). Think this could add some power? Is it worth doing? I would appreciate any input on this one...Keep in mind...I added a K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit to my ride which replaces the entire stock air filter system(which was less like a box and more like a tube. You '95 owners know what I'm talking about). Help me out here...I need LOTS AND LOTS of input. Thanks guys.

Sean
Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs
Splitfire ignition wires
PIAA 9007 Super-White Headlights(adds 40 rearwheel hp )

Assuming you haven’t modified your intake system, you’re already pulling in outside air. Doesn’t the 95s pull the air from around the headlight? Anyway, ram air setups only work when the vehicle is moving fast. If you want to improve the amount of air that gets into the motor, get a high performance filter, larger MAS and TB. Also, open up the exhaust. I see you already have done these things so what about a supercharger?

Anyways, just my 2 cents.

Back