Custom Sub Box | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom Sub Box

Ok so I think that matting I used was what I had as what most of you are using the fllece for so that is probaly why it broke. Once you put the first layer on you need to mix it in with the mat? So I think I had a quart of that resin which got me about half way done with the 1st coat. so about $30 a coat and about 10 coats for a sub box which is about $300 in resin alone. I read on here where larger boxes take about $100-$150 in material. I know I am doing something wrong.

Thanks,
Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah...don't use fleece. Resin is expensive...fleece has no structural strength. Cover the project with speaker grill cloth...resin it. Let it cure. Then start applying mat in layers giving time to cure in between.

So just to be 100% for sure again. I apply the speaker grill cloth or the fleece. Once thats is half way into the shape I want I apply resin. Then after that cures about 2 hours from what I read you then get that fiberglass mat which I had. (thats stuff I used to staple to the frame that ripped) and apply that over the 1st coat of resin. You then do a 2nd coat of resin over that mat and so on. Do I have to use that mat every single coat? Do this for about 7-8 coats sand it. Bondo it. Sand it and paint it? Do I have thsi right. Thanks for clearing everything up.

use fleece. it is alot easer to work with and you get smoother lines, and it will give you some strength more so then using speaker cloth. look at my post i have in here and look through all the pics and go from ther. first thing is to use a staple gun to secure the fleece to the frame, but make sure that you get it how you want because once its there its there. next what i did was mix up 16 ounces of resign and cover the fleece. i have gone through about 2 gallons on my box so far and im done with it now. let the fleece dry for a few hours then start with your mat. lay a thin layer of resign and then the mat then resign over the mat. i would say 4 or so layes depending on how thick your layers are. i personaly have 5 layers 2 on top and 3 inside but that only because this thing is huje. let me know if you need anything on this shoot me a pm or a e-mail. bill_stevens_3@yahoo.com it is time consuming and can be expensive. i have about 300 into mine without the tools i had to buy.

Bill.

Your pictures helped alot man. So I if I dont have to resin over the speaker holes I will be able to save alot there. Im going to get some fleece tonight and staple it on and if I get the nerve up try putting the resin on tomorrow. If you recommened putting the mat on every single layer? I got 2 15's I am putting in there that are maybe 30-40 pounds a peice. The frame I made holds them up by them selfs so I think I might do just 4 layers. Layers and at about $30 a layer Its about $120 which really isn't bad at all. Of course I got paint and bondo but I can get bondo for free. What is a good ratio of resin:harder. Im going to try going some other places and maybe they have the stuff cheaper than $15 a can. Thanks a bunch its all so clear now.

All right I put the resin on about 2 hours ago and its showing no signs of harderening. What happens if I didnt put enough hardner in it.

Well after letting it sit over night and most of today it got hard. I put another coat of resin on and some fiber glass matt. I still got about gallon and 1/5 left of resin. I think about 3-4 more coats and I should be ready for bondo!! Ill be sure to post pics. later. I would have been lost without you guys. Thanks so much!

Well after letting it sit over night and most of today it got hard. I put another coat of resin on and some fiber glass matt. I still got about gallon and 1/5 left of resin. I think about 3-4 more coats and I should be ready for bondo!! Ill be sure to post pics. later. I would have been lost without you guys. Thanks so much!

I expect at the shape you're using, you'll want to aim for at least 1/4" thickness for proper rigidity. It'll be sweet, too.

if you don't use enough hardner it could take months to cure. Get a work light/heat lamp set on it

I'll right im getting ready to put the 3rd coat on it right now. I still haven't used an entire gallon of the stuff yet. After the 3rd coat it will be at about a gallon. I am aiming for about 6-7 coats. Im going to take some pics of it later tonight!

Hey guys I got all the resin on the box and putting the bondo on it tonight and hopefully I'll be able to sand it and paint it tomorrow. Wish me luck!

are you putting on coats of just resin or fiberglass mat with resin??

Well I have 7 or 6 coats total. I don't have fiberglass mat in between every single layer just between 3 of them. I tired pushing on it this morning and it didn't really flex at all so I think its stregth is right. Thanks for all your help. Hey once this is all hard how hard is it to cut? I sealed up one of the holes for the sub since I only got 1 15" right now its so hard to find this SUB at a good price. I can't wait to get this box back in my car. Only a few more days! About how much bondo do you think I will need? I was hoping no more than a gallon since that is all my budget for this week will allow. What kind of paint is the best to paint this with? I was thinking Kryon paint.

Well I have 7 or 6 coats total. I don't have fiberglass mat in between every single layer just between 3 of them. I tired pushing on it this morning and it didn't really flex at all so I think its stregth is right. Thanks for all your help. Hey once this is all hard how hard is it to cut? I sealed up one of the holes for the sub since I only got 1 15" right now its so hard to find this SUB at a good price. I can't wait to get this box back in my car. Only a few more days! About how much bondo do you think I will need? I was hoping no more than a gallon since that is all my budget for this week will allow. What kind of paint is the best to paint this with? I was thinking Kryon paint.

Keep going until you're sure it can't flex, even if you hit it with a dead blow hammer. I'm serious on this. It's easy to be fooled by this stuff. Also, use automotive paint with a good high build primer. Or, if you aren't looking for super slick, use bedliner and have that nice textured look.

Yea I am pretty sure its at the right strenght. I started to sand it down tonight and its going to take awhile to sand that is for sure. Only problem is that the sub isnt fitting 100% in the hole so I got a little work to do there. I might try and put a last coat of resin on since I have a little extra anyway and try and put it on extra smooth to help with the sanding tomorrow. I have about 1/2 a gallon left anyway so I might as well mix it and put it on heavy.

Thanks for your help.

you are SUPPOSED to lay the resin on the mat EVERY LAYER...that is what give sit strength.

Resin by itself is very brittle...the mat soaked in it is what gives the strength...you seem to have done this all wrong...I would do 6-7 layers of mat over the whole thing for more strength. If you can't stand or jump on it than it isn't strong enough.

Well that sucks. I could stand on it but I didn't want to jump on it. I guess I will restart. Im about to quit messing with this stuff. Its really pissing me off.

yes it is a loss of a lot of wasted resin...BUT you can save it by laying down more layers of fiberglass on the outside...You can also brace the inside by fiberglassing rope in a random snake pattern along the inside walls.

Fiberglass gets its strength from curves...a flat fiberglass surface is very weak...fiberglassing around rope is basically like giving the outside of the enclosure a "skeleton" for extra strong bracing.

Well I added some more fiberglass mat and resin last night 3 more layers. And begun sanding it. What is the best sand paper to use. I am using some pretty heavy duty stuff right now to get it mostly smooth then plan on switching to the lighter stuff later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you are SUPPOSED to lay the resin on the mat EVERY LAYER...that is what give sit strength.

Resin by itself is very brittle...the mat soaked in it is what gives the strength...you seem to have done this all wrong...I would do 6-7 layers of mat over the whole thing for more strength. If you can't stand or jump on it than it isn't strong enough.

exactly what i was thinking. and this type of thing is a learn as you go. as you do more and more of these projects youll learn tricks here and there. it shouldnt take so much resin either start by mixing rather small amounts untill you know how much it will take for each layer to save on resin. usualy when i do a project with FG i have about 1.5 ounces left apart whats on the brush i use to apply the resin. like i said its a learn as you go process. check this thread out if you do decide to start over http://fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=4414 adding FG to the inside of the box instead of all of it outside of the box willmake life easier when it comes to the filler/sanding part of this like i said therea a lo of usefull nfo on that site and dont be afraid to ask questions there they will help thees a couple who might even walk you through it GOOD LUCK bro

Back