Custom Sub Box | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom Sub Box

Hey guys I took the box to my friends house and got it pretty damn smooth. I still got some stand left to do but its overall very good right now. Its nice and sturdy also. They helped me out alot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do fiberglass boxes sound different that wood boxes. Some songs sound kind of funny on this box then others sound pretty good I am not sure whats up.

did you put any fibre fill in the box to deaden a possible echo, or resonance ?
i usually go to walmart and pick up a few cheap fibrefill pillows, and rip them open , and put that in the bottom of the box,, makes the box tighter, but not smaller inside,, the fibre fill is full of air,, and doesn't take up much airspace,,
some people say it effectively double the volume because of all the surfaces in it,

Do fiberglass boxes sound different that wood boxes. Some songs sound kind of funny on this box then others sound pretty good I am not sure whats up.

Your box is resonating. You need to thicken/stiffen/strengthen the enclosure. It doesn't matter if the enclosure is made of balsa, dried yak ****, or concrete- if it is rigid enough to not resonate, it's awesome.

Well I am just not happy with how this box sounds. Lucky me I just wasted about 3 weeks of my time and but I saved most of the wood. I think I may just break the box all apart and put my old box back together. I am just going to take a loss and learn from what I did. I think the MDF box I had sounded so much better and louder. Thanks for all your help guys. Total project loss about $135. I feel so bad but the box just didnt sound right.

you would be surprised at how crappy a flexing/resonating enclosure sounds compared to a solid properly braced enclosure. That is your problem...NOT ENOUGH FIBERGLASS like I have been saying this whole time...but whatever...you could have saved a lot of time sanding when I (someone with experience) told you (total noob at glassing) that you need more layers of fiberglass.

Learn from your mistakes...now you know what not to do now.

Sorry...drunk posting is fun.

Back