cuts off when i give it gas | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cuts off when i give it gas

mine was the mass air flow sensor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where is the fpr? i have a 94 explorer.. is it pretty easy to install? i saw advance has the part. like 60 bucks.

but i cant find a tutorial on how to install it.

mass air flow sensor

Sounds like my problems. Went thru emissions & CO test was 221.22 and allow is 20.00 FAIL Truck still drives but gutless and sucks gas, oil cap smells like gas, has black crap out of exhaust only when start, at idol rpms bounce 600-900. CEL has been on til last Monday (3-8-04) then it hit 90 degrees in Phx since then light on-off in afternoon but stays on in morning.

well according to everywhere else i have read it is the fpr. does anyoen know where this is at? my father in law also said that i should change the fuel pump filter.

The fpr is loacted on the passenger side of the engine front behind alt.It has a metal line coming out the top buy the new one look in this location as stated and you can't miss it just compare old to new to find the part. If you have a haynes manual it will show how to replace it.Make sure you releive pressur to fpr. the manual will also tell you how to do this as well.

Had truck in the shop and mechanic said MAF was dirty, drive & see if this fixed it. I don't know if he took it apart like the tip said to do but didn't fix my problem. I may try to do this & post later when engine cools.

so should i try the fpr or the maf first?

I'd try mas and iac you never know until you clean them.

so would alot of this get fixed with just a tune up?

Since tapping on the FPR I had to go to the store and noticed that voltage (battery) gauge is now jumping but rpm is now a little steadier but still jumping. Thank god its a truck not a horse cause it be shot by now any help please.

picked up the chilton book...but i think i am going to try and clean the maf first..

Odd thing was checking sensors from haynes manual, all check ok til got IAC (idle air control) proper voltage being sent, resistence between 2 contacts-ok, resistence from contact to outer casing of value---nothing, Book said bad-replace. Pulled, end covered with carbon (black), part is $50, so cleaned end &put back together FUNNY no gas smell & idle steady, drive great, got power post back w/any info

that was the first thing i replace saturday and it is still rich.

trying to find the security screwdriver to remove the maf

Take a small punch orflat screwdriver and gently tap the post on the torx screw it will break off.Then just use regular torx driver.

ok changed oil filter and checked the maf....

still problem...rich deposit and feel sluggish when first driving.

also, took it on the interstate sun and kept joilting when i got up to 65....also CEL went off and came back on...

I'd try changing the fpr my '93 didi the same thing only to a worse degree and the fpr fixed it.

gave in and took it to a mechanic....

it was my maf.....300 bucks with a tune up

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back