cutting hood for functional scoops? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cutting hood for functional scoops?

cantspell

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto. Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt
Hi there, well i hope to pick up those Lund hood scoops this friday, and i want to cut the hood for them to be functional (for under hood cooling).
I'm sure others have done this, is it easy, are there supports that you cna't cut? What about drilling a few 2" holes or somthing similar? And for those you with hood scoops, is there any increase in noise, etc?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lund hood scoops are just for look's..nothing else..it may be possable..i wouldent try it tho

Many people have done it...

I like the idea of using a holesaw and making several small holes, but I guess it depends on where in the hood you put it, which scoop you chose and what you use it for.........

try a SEARCH

everything from the 3m tape the scoop on to the full shaker hood has been covered on this forum.....

Originally posted by blue_97_v8
Lund hood scoops are just for look's..nothing else..it may be possable..i wouldent try it tho

That doesn't make any sense, i mean if the concern is having them blow off, wouldn't allowing the air pressure to escape place less pressure on the scoops?

Originally posted by cantspell
That doesn't make any sense, i mean if the concern is having them blow off, wouldn't allowing the air pressure to escape place less pressure on the scoops?

Yes, I would think so.

There is no noticeable increase in noise. Actually there is less air going in the scoop to the engine than what you might think. If anything the new openning will only allow hotter air to escape while the car is at idle.

As for drilling, I would leave that for later just in case you decide 3 months down the line you do not like the look anymore. This way, you won't be left with a bunch of 2" holes in your hood. Just a suggestion. :)

Ever consider the COWL induction hood on explorer express for $425?

You can cut or drill.
Remove the hood liner to make a cleaner, nicer job.
Then cut the liner to match with a sharp razor blade.
Under no scirmstances would I cut any of the supports.

Just remember, measure, measure, re-measure, re-re-measure.
Out of place scoops look just aweful.

Or you can get the afore mentioned EE cowl induction hood.

Back