• Register Today It's free!

CV joint angles???

dossler2002

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 2WD 4.0 V6 4dr
can someone tell me how to determine what the angle of my CV Joints are??

also what is the limit of degrees they can be at??

i don't know if I cranked the torsion bars too much or what.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I recall correctly, their limit should be about 22 degrees...

do you know how to measure the angles??

Nah I sure don't.

Uh, call me dumb, but aren't CV joints part of the front drivetrain of a 4wd?

DUMB!!!! sorry couldn't resist. yeah i think you're right. cv joints are in front wheel drive cars in the front for the wheels to spin, and cv are in the front for ours when 4x4 kicks in.

nope trust me i have CV Joints because they tell all of us 2WD not to go higher than like 2" with the TT because our CV Joint angles will be too high and could snap the CV Joints. I think that all IFS suspensions have CV Joints, both 2WD and 4WD

Um, if you say so, dude. Alls I know is my front wheels don't have any driveline parts connected to them and are suspended by the spindles without any joints.

Who says 2wds shouldn't go higher than 2" due to CV joints? I think they're on something, and I want some of the good stuff! LOL

CV joints are on the front of 4WDs only. 2WDs do not have a front drivetrain, and therefore no CV joints. Also, I do belive the max angle up to the MY2001 is 22 degrees. I am guessing you are talking about your '97, but if you have a 2WD 2002 you DO NOT HAVE TORSION BARS, you have a coil-over strut style front suspension.

--Sean

ok i have a 97 2WD
and i see these little bars with boots on the end of them coming from the spindle to the crossmember. what in the hell are these then??

I know what you mean. My mom's truck has them. They're what steer the wheels. You can see them come out from the rack & pinion. Look like little CV joints to me........

Oh, dude. I totally blanked on the steering pinion joints. Oops! Hehe. Anyway, the people to ask would be Gerald or Rod (Sinjin). I don't think Gerald had to do any steering mods, but Rod got a new steering shaft. I don't think either had problems with the steering after the main steering shaft.

Back