• Register Today It's free!

cylinder bores

cerberusaardvark

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer xlt
hey guys, so after having my heads off for about two weeks waiting for a friend to clean the intakes/valve covers/ exhaust manifolds, i suspect that a lot of debris has fallen into the cylinder bores.

also, when i removed the heads i cleaned the crap out the the piston heads with cleaner and and a scotch brite pad i know probably a lot leaked past the top, carrying nasty stuff.

should i just do an oil change immediately or let the plug open and drain constantly, or should i try to jack up the engine to get the oil pan off to really clean this stuff out?

That's an odd way of cleaning an engine.

You might consider wiping down the affected areas with a rag damp with mineral spirits, then pour bottles of motor oil into the piston holes, and if it leaks down, drain the pan.

Do this a few times and it might get a lot of whatever you put in there.

You should also plan on changing the oil + filter shortly after it's first run the next time it's started up, maybe even changing it more than once soon after depending on what you find when you drain it cold.

Yup. I'm going to drain the oil before I start and fill it up with fresh oil to start up with the first time. Done a little searching, seems like it's not possible to remove the oil pan without unbolt in the engine and transmission mounts, and even then it would free up enough space to get at the gasket and that's it. My goal was to clean the debris out of the oil pan but I'll just have to trust my oil changes.

I was also worried about the oil pump having 300k plus on it but I learned it's not feasible to change with the engine in the truck. And alas, that is one of my limiting factors. Before I started the teardown I wasn't having problems with it so I'll just have to trust it for now.

If you haven't run your engine, I'd also vacuum there areas affected to help catch all the bits. You might run straight tranny fluid in the engine until fully warmed up, then let sit for a day, then flush with fresh oil 2x. That was very effective for me when I rebuilt my top end over the summer. I had lots of build up that the tranny fluid helped clean up. I picked up 10 psi of oil pressure from this.

Back