heads are off and reserved me a surprise! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

heads are off and reserved me a surprise!

///Manuel

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
They are cast iron??

After getting low compression on two adjacent cylinders I decided to pull the heads off the engine. It would have been nice to do a leak down after the compression test but I wanted to pull my heads off anyway.

Everything went smoothly, I have a growing grocery list with noisy pulleys, a missing injector diffuser cap, pitted rocket arms. My intake manifold heater core pipe is quite corroded, does anyone know whether it's pressed in, worth changing?

After pulling the heads off which I found rather heavy, put a magnet to them, they are cast iron?
Two of the exhaust manifold bolts were stripped?? And I found no gasket between the heads and the manifolds?

Also, do the manifolds require a round gasket to lead pipes? There was none.

Someone must have had those heads off before...

The passenger firewall piston was pretty clean and shiny, suspecting a water leak. The middle one with the gas-fouled plug had quite some carbon build-up.

On the heads, the two middle cylinder exhaust valves were seating much lower than all others. I pulled one of them out. It had quite a bit of play. Also the valve itself was pitted. I thought it was weird that they sat so low.

Since I have iron heads, should I get them rebuilt or go with a new set of 93tm's from Alabama Heads?

My coolant, the inside of the exhaust manifolds, the inside of the intake chamber, the valves, were all quite rusty. My oil was clean.

It's been a pretty easy job so far, a little time consuming. I've been working on it for a total of 6 hours I believe. Now onto cleaning up surfaces and ordering my list of parts. Should run like a champ afterwards!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get new heads

there is no gasket that goes in the manifold to pipe since it is basically built into the manifold itself.

as far as the heads are concern you can reuse them if there not cracked which is common among the 1st gen heads.

and the receding valve seats those are goona have to be replaced with new seats if the heads pass magnafluxing.

and yes all the 4.0 heads are cast iron

with the intake tube probably better off finding a new manifold in the JY since i do not think it is worth the hassle to try replace just the pipe.

Thanks for the info, I was under the impression that the heads were aluminum and why they'd be prone to cracking and warping. I'll get new ones, makes more sense.

Shouldn't there be gaskets between the heads and exhaust manifolds?

Thanks for the info, I was under the impression that the heads were aluminum and why they'd be prone to cracking and warping. I'll get new ones, makes more sense.

Shouldn't there be gaskets between the heads and exhaust manifolds?

Yes, they can crack, and is common if they are overheated.

From the factory there is not gasket between the manifold and the heads. Normally you add one the first time you have the manifolds off as the manifold can pit/warp over time.

~Mark

Yes there should be a gasket between the heads and the manifold.
whoever worked on it before left them out

Just a heads up, those are bare heads. If your buying a new set, might as well buy a set assembled and just slap them on..

~Mark

Good point wasn't thinking about that.

Ah, Manuel's getting the bug.

I say, do it.

When getting the 95tm heads, the extra work consists in finding someone to do a valve job since no one online offer them fully assembled?

When getting the 95tm heads, the extra work consists in finding someone to do a valve job since no one online offer them fully assembled?

This is not true.the seller in those links sell assembled heads also.the reason i post for bare heads is because i recommend you replace your valves with SI one piece stainless steel portflow valves and also if you do a cam its recommended you run 988 dual valve springs.so there is no point in buying assembled heads.also if you just want stock you can buy bare heads,SI valves and stock springs from rock auto and assembled it your self for cheaper than buying assembled heads and it will flow better;)

true 95tm heads will also bump you up to 10:1 compression so either a tune or 90+ gas is recommended

So is there any work that needs to be done to those castings for the dual springs and si valves to work,or can I assemble as is.

So is there any work that needs to be done to those castings for the dual springs and si valves to work,or can I assemble as is.

Dual springs are only needed if you run the 422cam and yes if you run dual springs the heads have to be machined.nothing is needed if you use stock cam and SI valves

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks JD, Im thinking about the 422 but I wanna do most of the work myself. I have the heads off right now, prob. best if I take them to a shop though. Is the 422 really worth all the extra expense?

Back