• Register Today It's free!

dana 35 axle seal replacement

zero_psi

Reaction score
City, State
mi b hills
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt svt
i was looking for a how 2 on how to replace my drivers side front axle seal like the best way. my hanies manuel is total crap and the dealer wants me to take the intire axle out... any ideas would be great..:thumbsup: i want to go up north and wheel for my 21st b day aka on the 12th

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

take off everyhing remove the halfshaft from the wheel bearing and pull the inner joint from the axle case, it just pulls out, but you have to wedge a long screwdriver where the seal is, the shaft is splined with a compression ring on the long end. then you can pop the seal out with the screwdriver, pictures help so look up a diagram for it

take off everyhing remove the halfshaft from the wheel bearing and pull the inner joint from the axle case, it just pulls out, but you have to wedge a long screwdriver where the seal is, the shaft is splined with a compression ring on the long end. then you can pop the seal out with the screwdriver, pictures help so look up a diagram for it

i don't have to remove the knuckle do i ? i was looking at some pick and it showed that i may be able to pull it threw the knuckle?

Take the spindle off and pull it through the knuckle.

^^ What he said. The drivers side shaft is the easy one to pull as there is no c-clip etc holding it. It just pulls right out through the nuckle.

~Mark

Just want to verify, you're typically able to get in there with a flat blade and pry the old seal out and then use a long drift or something to seat the new replacement one without pulling the diff off the beam? I was looking at mine over the weekend and it looks like I should be able to, at worse, maybe pull the radius arm loose but sure seemed like I could access it without pulling the diff loose from the beam itself and doing it on the bench. You guys agree?

And, yes, I know this is an old thread... Just bumping it for info...

I guess I'll find out on my own this evening...

I never tried to replace the seals with the pumpkin still on the beam I changed mine when I had it out to put in the LS carrier.

I did use a hammer and screw driver to bend/destroy the old seal to get it out.

If your pulling the shafts to do the seals it will be just as easy. When I put mine back in I used a hammer and a piece of 2x4 and it went right in.

Now, if your not removing the shafts I don't know how well pulling and install the seal is going to go. Assuming you haven't done a c-clip eliminator mod your not getting the passenger side shaft off without pulling the diff off the beam. The driver side shaft will come right out but there isn't that much room to swing a hammer or get a screw driver in without going through the knuckle.

~Mark

Yes, going to slide the drivers side shaft out to do the seal and was hoping to do exactly as you're saying, 2x4 or something thru the knuckle to seat it and hoping to pry the old one loose thru the little access are behind the beam.

Only doing the driver side, not pass. but have done the c-clip trick over there anyways. LOL

FYI for anyone that's got a similar question... VERY easy, at least mine was. Was probably 45 minutes at most from on the ground to back on the ground. Tear down the hub assembly, unbolt the hub from the knuckle, slide the drivers side axle out. My radius arms allowed more then enough room for a prybar to slide in and pop the old seal out. Not sure if you have stock or some other type of radius arm but I can access mine at least. Then find yourself a nice combo of extension pounding type technical tools and drive the new seal in. Simple as that... Reassemble...

Back