Dana 35 Front Diff. May be bone dry | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 35 Front Diff. May be bone dry

Currency

Reaction score
City, State
Bedford Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4
Well here we go again....

Checked the fluid level on my front diff yesterday because it has been making some noise. Well I stuck my pinky in the fill hole and could not find any fluid.

Please tell me that something is not broken.

Also, my father argues that since a recent ranger he worked on takes gear oil, that my explorer does as well. I've always read it takes Mercon V ATF. Who is right?

If a seal needs replaced, how much will that cost and how long to change it?

If the front diff needs rebuild or replaced, how much and how long?

Kind of in the middle of moving, so I can't leave my explorer just sitting since I need it and its my daily driver.

The noise I hear can be duplicated by turning or rocking the front drive shaft back and forth. It's kind of like a clicking sound and does not sound as if anything is broken. Just a click in the front diff. It does make the same noise when driving it but only at low speeds, under 15 MPH.

I had attempted to purchase another 94 explorer, this was an Eddie Baurer but they had already sold it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dads right, they usually are. Isn't that so annoying. Use hypoid gear oil in the diff.. ATF goes in the transfer case. Just adding the correct amount of oil may make the noise go away if the gears didn't wear excessivly from going dry. If diff needs rebuilt, this can get pricey, seals not much but both will take some time to do. Either you haven't checked the diff level for a long time or you have a big Ole leak. Once fluid is back in a big leak should be easy to pin point.

They take hypoid grease (like 85W90 or something like that), not ATF. At least this is the case for my manual transmission Ex.

As far as driving it as long as you are in 2WD you shouldn't have to worry unless there is some other issue.

My diff has been dry and doesn't make a noise, I just don't run the 4x4. You may have some other issue, maybe a bad u-joint or driveshaft splines wore down?

As far as rebuilding it, you can do what you want but I would just go to a junkyard or find a new (used) diff on here. You're looking at $250 max.

Well $250 is out of my range until next month, just bought a house. So far I believe it will be just fine until I get moved then. I will have a two car garage to work on it in soon.

I should mention that I never heard this noise when it was in four wheel many months ago when snow was falling. I did however hear a bad U-Joint on the front drivers side clunking around. Other than that I do not believe it was making any noise until further on into the summer months.

Also the alignment is off a bit. Can't really do anything about that until I fix the bad radius arm bracket and busted shock mount on the same radius arm. I tried the autozone kit, but the shock wants to slid off of the mount and there is not enough room to put a washer on it.

I think I am going to replace both the radius arm and bracket. Then I can do the shocks and work on the front diff afterwards.

That could be part of your problem maybe.

If the angle of the diff is off a bit you might be binding something in a way that has it grinding slightly. Just an uneducated guess though.

If I'm reading this right, your hearing the noise when your just driving around. If you are, then part of your issue is the hubs are locked. I'm assuming they are the factory auto hubs. This means your hub is bad and is locked when it shouldn't be.

When your not in 4x4 the front diff should not be turning. The transfer case isn't spinning the drive shaft to the front diff and the hubs should be unlocked which means the gears should not be turning.

As for the shock issue, can you take a pic of the issue? I've used those shock bolts before and never had an issue with that. Worst, case, Radius arms are pretty cheap and Really worst case, I have 2 pairs of stock Radius arms in the scrap part pile in the back yard.

~Mark

The only way I can snap a shot of it is with my cell phone right now. Will go do that now. Sorry if the images are a little dark, I done my best with my Samsung Intensity.

020.jpg

Passenger shock and bolt from outside.
021.jpg

From inside.
022.jpg

Possible bad U-Joint and front diff.

Now last time I was in four wheel I had a constant thumping sound. I was sticking my head out the window when my passenger said it sounds like a U-Joint. This sounded as if it was on the far left front. Therefore the closest U-Joint to the front drivers wheel which means the one just inside of the drivers side hub.

As for the radius arm. It came from a 91 explorer and the shock mount broke off in the middle of swapping mine with this one. My radius arm had a big chunk missing out because the last owner ran it with a busted radius arm bushing.

If I'm reading this right, your hearing the noise when your just driving around. If you are, then part of your issue is the hubs are locked. I'm assuming they are the factory auto hubs. This means your hub is bad and is locked when it shouldn't be.

When your not in 4x4 the front diff should not be turning. The transfer case isn't spinning the drive shaft to the front diff and the hubs should be unlocked which means the gears should not be turning.

~Mark

You are correct Mark. It only makes noise when I am going under say 18 MPH. The noise always appears to go away when I am over say, 20 MPH. I have not given my hubs a good cleaning for some time now but will check on them.

This is the second year I have had this explorer but I have pretty much replaced all of the brakes, rotors, wheel cylinders, and master cylinder in the past two years. It is about time for new back brakes again along with the adjusters since the front pads in the read are wearing faster than the backs. I will install the new spring kit when I replace the brakes in a couple of weeks.

As for your radius arms. If you are interested in parting with one pair I will be able to make a paypal transfer in a few weeks, I can also cover shipping costs. Just send me a private message and we can share the details.

I also have new ball joints which I recently posted an update in my registry page. Those have yet to be installed. Upper right ball joint has be busted since I purchased it. Tire wear has not been too aweful and I've only added around 18,000 miles since the purchase. Sitting at 205k now.

Things have been crazy for me these past few weeks, just bought a house so I finally get a garage. May post pictures in the home remodeling section of EF. It only needs minor work with the garage needing more work than the house. :thumbsup:

Back