Dana 35 front Diff problem

TimRay

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ranger Super XLT
PLEASE HELP!!!!

I am kinda stupid when it comes to differentials. Mainly just because this is the first one I have done. Truth be told, I am getting a crash course in 4x4 repair. The components on my Ranger is a DANA 35 IFS with auto-locking hubs. The gear ratio is 3.73:1 (41 ring teeth/11 pinion teeth)

The problem I had is that I used my 4x4 recently in the snow and the next day I noticed that the left auto-locking hub was destroyed. Half of it was missing. I looked at the right side without removing the wheels, but it looked fine. I ordered a new autolocking hub and installed it. The 4 wheel drive would not work. After reading several blogs, people said that the most common problem was in the transfer motor. I tested that and it works fine. The next thing I tried was to jack up the front with the 4x4 in 4 Hi, and see if I can turn the wheels by hand. I found that the front drive shaft was locked in, but the axles still turned freely. This led me to believe that something in the differential was not working correctly. I then selected 2 Hi to allow the front driveshaft to turn freely. I found that I could turn the axles or the driveshaft independently of each other. At this point I decided to tear apart the front of my Ranger to remove the front Differential. (What a job!!! I now know that I hate the I-beam suspension!!!) After I had removed the passenger side tire, I noticed that the right auto-hub was broke all the way around the bolt flange. Something catastrophic must have happened in the front to break both auto-hubs at the same time, but I have not clue what it could have been.

I now have the front differential apart and I have the main ring and casing assembly on my desk. I dont see anything that stands out as being broke.

Please give me any advice you can. I am in need of serious help!:salute:

Back