Dana 35 Gear Question (Jefe's help needed) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 35 Gear Question (Jefe's help needed)

ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
In BOLD are the actual questions:

I have a few questions about the ring and pinion for the Front Dana 35-IFS in the 2nd Gen Explorers (especially mine : '00) I am looking for a 4.56 and I was told I would need a Reverse Cut by Randys Ring and Pinion - but Jefe told me I'd need a Standard Cut (which is a lot cheaper). I just want to make sure right now that what I need for mine is a Standard Cut Dana 35 Ring and Pinion?

My second question is for the installation kit. Now, do I need to get the Dana 35-IFS kit or will the normal Dana 35 kit work? I've seen both kits on Randys Ring and Pinion -- but I just want to know which one will work for sure.

I plan on purchasing these things in a few weeks and maybe getting around to ripping my front suspension out in the next few months. But please let me know the FACTS! Thanks everyone!

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ahah ur sig says u already have the 4.56s ... but ur question suggests otherwise..

anyways, i ordered my 4.56s from randy's too and i believe the front is standard rotation. i just checked Randy's website and its changed quite a bit so i dunno which parts i ordered! eeep!

I do have a 4.56 in the rear -- but thanks for the worthless post.

If anyone knows for sure that it's a standard rotation and that the Dana 35 installation kit will work for the Dana 35-IFS...please leave a post! Thanks everyone.

-Drew

That reminds me of a joke by The Diceman. He goes into see a shrink & the doc asks him "what seems to be the problem?" & the Diceman says "I don't know doc, I'm feeling depressed lately, I'm havin' a hard time making friends - Ya know what I mean ya Fackin' A-Hole!" :D

Anyway, I did a search for "standard rotation gears" & your post from the beginning of the year, with Jefe's reply came up???

----------------------------------------------------------------
Reverse Cut Or Standard?
I am trying to figure out if the Dana 35 IFS on the 2nd gens (like my 2000) take a standard cut ring and pinion or a reverse cut! I am trying to finish my gear swap soon, but I noticed that the reverse cut is about 100 bucks more than the standard cut. I belive I need reverse cut, but I saw on a website where it said that only 91-95 Explorers were reverse, and that 95-up were standard rotation. Let me know! I know there are tons of people out there with gears in the front axles - any information would be great!

-Drew

ps - i'm looking for a 4.56 gear ratio....but that doesn't matter - I just need the correct cut!

---------------------------------------------------

I answered my own question - Reverse is what you need if anyone in the future runs into this problem!

-Drew
----------------------------------------------------

'00 XLT 4x4
Valencia, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerDMB00
I answered my own question - Reverse is what you need if anyone in the future runs into this problem!

-Drew

Wrong. . .2nd gen IFS takes standard cut D35 gears. 1st gen TTB takes reverse cut D35 gears.

For Pics & Mod list visit:
Jefe's Pad

---------------------------------------------------

As for the second question;

"Now, do I need to get the Dana 35-IFS kit or will the normal Dana 35 kit work? I've seen both kits on Randys Ring and Pinion -- but I just want to know which one will work for sure."

Since you have the DANA35 IFS...That's the one that will work for sure, no?

By the way, how are the new tires working out? I went with the 33" Xterrains, but I still like the looks of yours better!

ExplorerDMB00 said:
... but thanks for the worthless post.

AHAHA!! in yo face charly murphy :confused: its a celebration!!! be merry!

I can't really find the Dana 35-IFS install kit anywhere - thats why i wanted to know if the regular dana 35 would work.

Sorry for posting. Just wanted a factual answer instead of me being confused by randys ring and pinion website. I've never had a problem with this board, until now. Sorry again for posting.

-Drew

I don’t think your having a problem with the board, I can’t speak for the other guy, but I did the best I could to find the answers to your questions. I even called Randy’s & spoke to Seth, who confirmed what Jefe said, that you have the standard rotation gears up front. You also need the rebuild kit for the Dana 35 IFS. He said something about the needle bearings being different than the standard Dana 35 rear.

I have a set here waiting to go on my 99 & it’s a Yukon product, part # YK M35-IFS that says IFS- Ranger & Explorer on the box. I got it from:

J.T.'s Differentials & Axles
Jeremy (J.T.)
jeremy-ayers@comcast.net
http://www.ringpinion.biz

So; Standard rotation gears and IFS rebuild kit.

Happing wheeling!

95 + IFS have standard cut
91-94 TTB have reverse rotation

I think thats what you are asking...if not, oops

Yna

Thank you Ryan.

Back