• Register Today It's free!

Dana 35 IFS, largest gears?

JPA1982

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX for now
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
been looking around, trying to find new gears cause i lot to much power going from stock rims to 31's after my 2" lift,
eventually i will go 4" higher and 33's, so i want gears that can give me power now and still have enough after the 33's, i'm also gonna lock front/rear

so i was thinking 4.10's is there anything bigger that will fit into the dana 35 IFS dif? i know i can get 4.56 in the 8.8 rear? where is a good place(lowest price), thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I would stay with 4.10, seems like they are good from stock to 33"s. I'm pretty sure you can get 5.13's. You don't want gears that low though, your milage would suck...hard...and you would have a much lower top speed. I'm going to evenutlly do an sas and run 5.13's with 35"s. What gears do you have in it now? Right now I have 31"s with 3.27 gears (high I know) but I have a manual tranny which is lower than the al4d. I wish I could afford a front locker right now though :(

Good Luck
CP :D

well i have 3.73conventional, ran good with stock, but have lost so much going to 31's, could really tell, i know i don't want 5.13's, was maybe looking at 4.27 or 4.56 but not sure if we can get these in our stock dana 35 &/Or Ford 8.8, tis why i was putting the question out there, thanks though

will running 4.11's out back and 4.10 up front hurt anything? i was to understand had to have the same front/rear gear ratio for the control trac or ne 4x4, don't konw to much about axles but i'm trying to do as much reading as possible
thanks

The IFS Dana 35 take standard cut gears. So you have a choice of . . . 3.73, 4.10, 4.56, and 4.88. Going from 3.73s to 4.10's isn't going to get you much (trust me I know :rolleyes: ) but i'd think that 4.56's are going to be too much for 31's so 4.10s are really your only option.

And yes 4.11 and 4.10 are fine.

4.56s with the 33s, but with 31s... 4.56s will be a bit much...

are there no in between options for US(X owners, with stock difs)????
or do we go straight from 4.10's to 4.56's?

For a 4wd X, no, there is no inbetween.

alright, well thanks all, guess i have some thinking to do, and also look at my budget to see how long i'd have to wait to get the 33s if i went with 4.56s.

Back