dana 44...need help!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dana 44...need help!!!!!

Ok so I'm a newbie to this whole SAS thing. Ik there are plenty of how to threads. But I just wabted to know if there were any pointers. I found someone with a Dana 44. Waiting on pictures. I won't do the SAS until summer or until I get a daily driver. Until then I want to just find out as much info as I can. And if I have to buy some parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im almost done with my sas. Started with a 44 then realized junkyards dont have many wagoneers. So i couldnt get parts and went with a 30 with 4.10s. If i break **** its getting trussed with chromolly shafts and new gears. Its also going to be running 38.5 inch boggers lol

Read about all the SAS that's been done on this site along with a hundred other sites. Every bit of info is a pointer. Don't forget the B2 thread has a few SAS also other then just the Ex's.
Need to spend hours and hours reading.

Im almost done with my sas. Started with a 44 then realized junkyards dont have many wagoneers. So i couldnt get parts and went with a 30 with 4.10s. If i break **** its getting trussed with chromolly shafts and new gears. Its also going to be running 38.5 inch boggers lol

That's insane!!!! How long have you been working on it?

And I knew abt the explorers. But I never thought of looking at the BII side of things.

Your Dana 30 is not going to hold up to 38.5 tires. I'm running 33s with 4.56 gears and have broken 5 axles over the past 4 years. 4 have been the short side and the last time was the long one. I carry a spare short side with hub whenever I wheel. I also discovered yesterday that my pinion gear has three chipped teeth. If you are going to run the 38s I'd go with at least a 44.

Your Dana 30 is not going to hold up to 38.5 tires. I'm running 33s with 4.56 gears and have broken 5 axles over the past 4 years. 4 have been the short side and the last time was the long one. I carry a spare short side with hub whenever I wheel. I also discovered yesterday that my pinion gear has three chipped teeth. If you are going to run the 38s I'd go with at least a 44.

Was waiting for someone to say something like that. Glad to see you wheel it hard . I have 35" with a rear D70 and a D44 upfront which has done well.
Was thinking of going to 37" which is testing the 44 let alone a d30 with both front and rear lockers. But changed my mind to true 39.5" tires which now means I'll be building a front D60.
Sure there are people who have ran 37" and larger on a d30 and wheel it, but look what happens to the majority that do try it. When picking an axle go by what the majority uses not a few.

I read that 37s and above should be on a Dana60. Due to the weight and whatnot. Dana 30 is balsy. That's why I said its insane.

would a front dana 30, i believe, from a 2012 wrangler work? My buddy is swapping his out. Also would a James Duff kit work on my 97?

Sure it will work, but then you'd be explaining to everyone when they ask, "What the hell were you thinking when you put D30 under an Ex"? Or another way to think about it, if Ford were to put a solid under an X it would never be a 30. It's all about the weight/torque thing verses how you plan to wheel it. Then again if the only off road you did was to drive over your wife's flower garden, then yes, by all means do it.

Hmmm. I think Il do a dana44 or Dana60. My friend says his 30 is pretty tough. He has 35s on it right now.

Back