• Register Today It's free!

dana 44 ttb

Campbell

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
has anyone tried to throw a dana 44 ttb front axel in to replace the dana 35 ttb? I was thinking about getting one and cutting and rewelding it the way that the Zimmermans did to their dana 35. This way I will gain more lift, more travel, and I can support 38" tires without fear of breaking crap like the dana 35 would. Can the 8.8" rear handle tires that size or will I have to upgrade to the ford 9"?
Ryan M. Campbell

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what rick did. I can't think of their name but somebody else is doing this too. You can do it but it would cost you.

Nope, that's not what I did. I used a solid Dana 44 not a TTB setup. The idea is entirely possible though and I had thought of doing it as well. I decided that the solid setup would better suit my needs though.

As far as "upgrading" to a 9", my personal belief is that going from an 8.8 to a 9" isn't really much of an upgade. In order to really get a rear end that would be a lot stronger than the 8.8 you would have to go to a Dana 60 or another axle from a 3/4 - 1 ton vehicle. Given the weight of the Explorer and adding 38" tires you would really be pushing an 8.8 or a 9".

thanks guys... I will have to do some more investigation before I decide what I want to do.
Ryan

I was thinking this same thing the other day. I was looking at my Dad's TTB axle on his f-250 and thought how cool it would be to cut and weld the axle like the Zimmerman's did and then put it under the Explorer. I doubt I will be doing it though. I think it is a really good idea and good luck!

I was thinking the of the same thing when I was looking under a bronco . if u do do it u have to get pics .good luck...

Currie narrows the TTB 44's for the Explorer. It's not cheap!

What about a full-width, non-cut Dana 44 TTB and full width rear axle from a big bronco/F150?

I don't believe the springs towers or the radius arm mounting points are too hard to adapt or fabricate, but don't know about the TTB pivot points (would it be necessary to swap the crossmember?). Rear axle would be no problem.

Comments?

I am waiting for Tiesen to do a write up about his dana 44 solid axel swap that he did. I am still contemplating both. I had originally thought that it would be cheeper to do the ttb 44 but who knows, it may be an expensive pain in my butt.

I believe the Dana 35 TTB and Dana 44 TTB share one inherent design flaw: The bearings are too close together and don't provide sufficient lateral support. Can anyone confirm from experience?

The spindle on a D44 is much longer than a D35 and the bearings are spaced farther apart.

On a follow up note, I contacted Currie because this swap peaked my curiousity. I was told that The owner of Currie did this with his Explorer, and by the time they were finished with all of the custom bracketry and what not they decided not to offer it as a kit because of how much of a pain it would be. I replied back to ask what kind of performance gains there were, since we have all seen the amazing stuff Rick is doing with his solid axle.

Mat

Back