Dead as a Doornail | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dead as a Doornail

rollinstone

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
I've got full-on lights, panel, ignition, chimes...but when I turn the key to start everything goes dead...just a click if I'm lucky, and everything goes dark. Battery is 3.7 years old, shows full charge.

Turned over and ran just fine yesterday...sat overnight. ???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got full-on lights, panel, ignition, chimes...but when I turn the key to start everything goes dead...just a click if I'm lucky, and everything goes dark. Battery is 3.7 years old, shows full charge.

Turned over and ran just fine yesterday...sat overnight. ???

Check the battery cables... could be loose have some one wiggle them when trying to start the truck... battery might be dead... starter could be faulty.. check those..

Will be checking the battery at Autozone. Would everything go dark with a bad starter? I mean everything electrical goes blank/off/kaput when I turn the key to start.

Will be checking the battery at Autozone. Would everything go dark with a bad starter? I mean everything electrical goes blank/off/kaput when I turn the key to start.

def sounds like bad battery or issues with terminals too me.. my truck does this all the time.. and the battery is crap...

def sounds like bad battery or issues with terminals too me.. my truck does this all the time.. and the battery is crap...

meaning My battery is faulty causing very similiar issues to the ones described..

Just got back from Autozone...the gave it the full test and said it's OK...just needs a slight charge so I've got it on my charger...give it a coupla hours and see how we do. Also cleaned the terminals.

If it still won't start, clean the negative cable connection
at the block. This is often overlooked, and tends to corrode.

Just got back from Autozone...the gave it the full test and said it's OK...just needs a slight charge so I've got it on my charger...give it a coupla hours and see how we do. Also cleaned the terminals.

Glad the test went ok... Like the above poster said.. battery terminals are important to check :)... Sometimes thay are overtightened and break.. check for those too..

Back