Dealer replacement oil dipstick wrong | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dealer replacement oil dipstick wrong

Creatve

Reaction score
City, State
Anaheim, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
Just wondering if anyone had to buy a new oil dipstick from Ford only to find that the new dipsticks max line is higher by i'd say a quart?

I had to buy one recently from Ford because I broke mine while changing out my spark plugs(doh) and the new part is the same length and the mininum fill line is the same, but the max line his higher by an inch.

Brought the dipstick back to the dealer and the parts guy said yeah thats the one for my vehicle, there was actually two listings for dipsticks for my vehicle depending on the production date of my vehicle so the guy checked the other dipstick but it still referred to the same part # they had originally gave me. They said they called Ford about it and they said it was the right part and no other information was given. I dont feel safe having that max line higher than the original line so I ended up returning the dipstick for a refund. The part # is XL2Z6750DA

So I just JB Welded my broken dipstick for now and looks like it will hold for a couple of oil changes. Just wondering if anyone had the same problem purchasing a new dipstick. I have a 99 4.0L SOHC 2-dr Sport automatic

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. They're just a guide anyways, and nowhere does it say to fill it up to the MAX line. You fill the engine with the proper volume of oil, start it, shut it off, give it a few minutes, then check the level. Wherever the level is on the stick is now your 'FULL' level. (I'd scribe a line in there to mark it)

-Joe

Back