Rubber freeze plug doesn't share room with the oil dipstick! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rubber freeze plug doesn't share room with the oil dipstick!

David Kilmer

Reaction score
City, State
Ashland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
So, I just recently replaced the cylnder heads on my 2000 explorer OHV , everything went perfect. Slight exhaust leak but new exhaust manifold to head bolts fixed that. I was losing a bit of water, and when it was hot, it was dripping off of the engine like another gasket was bad. I let it sit for two days and drained the coolent, as soon as I did, one of the freeze plugs started leaking from a tiny little hole. Awesome, easy fix. I inspected the other four and they all looked good. Got it out, went and got a replacement rubber one, came back to install it and realized the oil dipstick is in my way. No biggy, I will just unscrew it from its housing, again , and I do, and I put in the plug..... but now, I realize, this damn plug isn't going flush with the block, and now the dipstick is giving up its real estate to this plug that is now protruding from the block.

So, either I need a more shallow replacement plug ( this one was just what they had in terms of the diameter size of the plug ) , or a different dip stick.... or could I actually install a metal type plug? I know I can get away with plugging the dipstick hole, but I don't want a ten minute operation everytime I want to check the oil. Any ideas?

With the tire off you may have enough room to work with, I don't know...
This video shows how to install a metal freeze plug...

So, I just recently replaced the cylnder heads on my 2000 explorer OHV , everything went perfect. Slight exhaust leak but new exhaust manifold to head bolts fixed that. I was losing a bit of water, and when it was hot, it was dripping off of the engine like another gasket was bad. I let it sit for two days and drained the coolent, as soon as I did, one of the freeze plugs started leaking from a tiny little hole. Awesome, easy fix. I inspected the other four and they all looked good. Got it out, went and got a replacement rubber one, came back to install it and realized the oil dipstick is in my way. No biggy, I will just unscrew it from its housing, again , and I do, and I put in the plug..... but now, I realize, this damn plug isn't going flush with the block, and now the dipstick is giving up its real estate to this plug that is now protruding from the block.

So, either I need a more shallow replacement plug ( this one was just what they had in terms of the diameter size of the plug ) , or a different dip stick.... or could I actually install a metal type plug? I know I can get away with plugging the dipstick hole, but I don't want a ten minute operation everytime I want to check the oil. Any ideas?
I tried installing a metal plug and I couldn't get an angle to tap it in. Rubber plugs aren't the greatest idea. This is working great for years.

Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

(Not certain of the size, but it should be easy to find out). I gave it two turns(marked it with paint, and used locktite red on the thread - probably overkill).

Back