Dealership troubleshot problems to be the APIM . | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dealership troubleshot problems to be the APIM .

WoodySuse

Reaction score
City, State
Destin Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Just purchased a 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum in Alaska for a work vehicle when I come up here to fly. Bought it from Kendall Ford in Anchorage and got a 6 month warranty with my purchase. I purchased it on Dec 13, 2023 drove it for 3 days and then flew back home to the lower 48. Came back the 1st on January 2024 and the climate control panel operation became intermittent, got Navigation Fault, Cross Traffic System Fault. Took it to their dealership to get it fixed prior to my warranty running out. I was informed that my warranty didn’t cover the electrical system. So I was quoted $1300 to replace the APIM and troubleshooting. After looking on the internet, I figured I would just do the APIM upgrade to the SYNC 3 if I was going to spend that kinda of money. In the mean time I went to a local junkyard to bought a used APIM and installed it and the system was worse. Does anyone know if the aftermarket SYNC 3 APIM will fix my problems? I went to the local junkyard and got another APIM out of a wrecked explorer and had the same errors. Im thinking it might not be the APIM ?

IMG_7735.jpeg

IMG_7736.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Is there another dealer in town or an independent garage that could check this out? I'm not that familiar with all the functions the APIM controls but have to wonder about the cross-traffic system fault. Which year Explorers did you remove the 2 APIM units from? 2016 was the refresh year.

Peter

The APIM has to be programmed.

I would look at the battery control module and or the battery itself. Either one can cause some irregular electrical behavior. If you have ForScan you it will tell you what's going on with those modules. I suspect they are not getting enough voltage.

You also need the correct APIM. There are several versions for the Explorer, in fact any model.

The Dealership had to replace my APIM in my 2019 SHO three time to get it right. One of them was not the correct one, even though Ford send it to them. Ford then said it was no the correct APIM for my VIN. And yes, after install needs to be programed.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Is there another dealer in town or an independent garage that could check this out? I'm not that familiar with all the functions the APIM controls but have to wonder about the cross-traffic system fault. Which year Explorers did you remove the 2 APIM units from? 2016 was the refresh year.

Peter
Unfortunately not. The dealership put a brand new one in and $1300 later, I still have the same problems and now my USB in the front doesn’t work now.

The APIM has to be programmed.

I would look at the battery control module and or the battery itself. Either one can cause some irregular electrical behavior. If you have ForScan you it will tell you what's going on with those modules. I suspect they are not getting enough voltage.
I took it to the dealership and let them do it as I dont have forscan and a laptop in Alaska with me.

Just purchased a 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum in Alaska for a work vehicle when I come up here to fly. Bought it from Kendall Ford in Anchorage and got a 6 month warranty with my purchase. I purchased it on Dec 13, 2023 drove it for 3 days and then flew back home to the lower 48. Came back the 1st on January 2024 and the climate control panel operation became intermittent, got Navigation Fault, Cross Traffic System Fault. Took it to their dealership to get it fixed prior to my warranty running out. I was informed that my warranty didn’t cover the electrical system. So I was quoted $1300 to replace the APIM and troubleshooting. After looking on the internet, I figured I would just do the APIM upgrade to the SYNC 3 if I was going to spend that kinda of money. In the mean time I went to a local junkyard to bought a used APIM and installed it and the system was worse. Does anyone know if the aftermarket SYNC 3 APIM will fix my problems? I went to the local junkyard and got another APIM out of a wrecked explorer and had the same errors. Im thinking it might not be the APIM ?

View attachment 450574

View attachment 450575
16 should have been sync 3 to start. The used APIM needs to programmed using forscan in order to program the VIN to it. One thing to remember about the Navigation module, the navigation app and image must be installed after flashing the APIM. My 14 Explorer Limited was at the dealership for 5 months trying to figure out why Navigation wasn't working. That was something I fixed on my own from a thread found in the forum.

Back