Dear Ford IVT Team, about those who don't have navigation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dear Ford IVT Team, about those who don't have navigation

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
I just wanted to ask if there is any way possible to add the navigation to the MFT for those who didn't get the Nav. When I bought the car, salesmen told me I had the Nav so that was why we bought the Explorer from that particular dealer. Then coming home to find out we had no nav. Is there anyway at all to add the vehicle navigation? Should be just an SD card and choose the Nav version of the SYNC software right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I asked the same question back last fall and the answer was No. There is some hidden thing that they put on the Ex at the factory that allows it to run the navigation, they wouldn't tell me what the hidden extra piece is to allow for Navigation. You would think it is as simple as getting the SD card and loading the proper version of MFT.

I just wanted to ask if there is any way possible to add the navigation to the MFT for those who didn't get the Nav. When I bought the car, salesmen told me I had the Nav so that was why we bought the Explorer from that particular dealer. Then coming home to find out we had no nav. Is there anyway at all to add the vehicle navigation? Should be just an SD card and choose the Nav version of the SYNC software right?

Hey, 1995E!

It sounds like your dealership may have been talking about SYNC Services turn-by-turn directions. Unfortunately, there's no way for us to add NAV after the vehicle has left the factory.

Here's the thread that shortstackaggie was referring to:

http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327367&highlight=Navigation&page=1

From post 24:

Yes, it's a software configuration issue, not hardware. Due to the programming/coding that is required, it doesn't have "off-the-shelf" functionality. One limitation is that the module has some licensing that has to be activated at the time of build.

If we do decide to offer it as an add-on in the future, we will make our customers aware.

Rebecca

Hey, 1995E!

It sounds like your dealership may have been talking about SYNC Services turn-by-turn directions. Unfortunately, there's no way for us to add NAV after the vehicle has left the factory.

Here's the thread that shortstackaggie was referring to:

http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327367&highlight=Navigation&page=1

From post 24:

Yes, it's a software configuration issue, not hardware. Due to the programming/coding that is required, it doesn't have "off-the-shelf" functionality. One limitation is that the module has some licensing that has to be activated at the time of build.

If we do decide to offer it as an add-on in the future, we will make our customers aware.

Rebecca
Missed that one the first time around. I guess that answers the hardware/software limitation question.

If the Explorer would have been offered with Navteq data, I might have thought about getting nav when I purchased - but the Telenav crap? No way.

Hopefully, the the new release of MFT proves the stability and usability of the system, especially with Nav. If that is the case, I might consider it if it was available at a reasonable price.

Missed that one the first time around. I guess that answers the hardware/software limitation question.

If the Explorer would have been offered with Navteq data, I might have thought about getting nav when I purchased - but the Telenav crap? No way.

Hopefully, the the new release of MFT proves the stability and usability of the system, especially with Nav. If that is the case, I might consider it if it was available at a reasonable price.

The update replaces the telenav with Navteq data

The update replaces the telenav with Navteq data
Yep, I know.

Though after all the problems people have had with MFT and nav so far, I'm glad I didn't get it. My $200 Garmin is a great, cheaper solution for when I need nav help.

Yep, I know.

Though after all the problems people have had with MFT and nav so far, I'm glad I didn't get it. My $200 Garmin is a great, cheaper solution for when I need nav help.

Some states don't allow devices that are attachments to the windshield so an integrated system where I can control with voice commands makes it so much easier.

Some states don't allow devices that are attachments to the windshield so an integrated system where I can control with voice commands makes it so much easier.

It's unfortunate that they have restricted this in two ways. 1) They do not offer an upgrade path to add navigation after purchase... 2) They restrict auxiliary video input while the vehicle is in motion, making it impossible to add third party integrated navigation solutions.

I think that number 2 should be illegal. There's no reason to deny someone the ability to use a third party navigation system with the built in 8" display.

Yep, I know.

There are more happy than not with the mft and nav. I wouldn't have gotten my ex without. That's just me though.

It's unfortunate that they have restricted this in two ways. 1) They do not offer an upgrade path to add navigation after purchase... 2) They restrict auxiliary video input while the vehicle is in motion, making it impossible to add third party integrated navigation solutions.

I think that number 2 should be illegal. There's no reason to deny someone the ability to use a third party navigation system with the built in 8" display.

The INRIX Traffic/Nav App on the iPhone works well, and they have partnered with Ford SYNC Team.

Right now its just with AppLink but hopefully theres more to come.

When I emailed them about the use of their App with the MFT screen they mentioned some new programs were going to be released in 2012.

Another option is 3G iPad (or better yet 4G LTE iPad3 next month) mounted up front with INRIX Navigation App.

I used MotionX App on the iPad up front with industrial velcro and it worked very well. The downside it that if I ever get hit from the side, the iPad turns into a flying knife blade.

I wish that Ford would sell this to us. Drove 50 miles to look at my Exp this weekend and before I left the car dealer told me it had Nav, when I got there I tried to explain to him that it didn't have it but he insisted that the turn by turn was Nav. I finally gave up on explaining it to him and I did end up buying but I would really, really, really, really love to have the full Nav package.

I wish that Ford would sell this to us. Drove 50 miles to look at my Exp this weekend and before I left the car dealer told me it had Nav, when I got there I tried to explain to him that it didn't have it but he insisted that the turn by turn was Nav. I finally gave up on explaining it to him and I did end up buying but I would really, really, really, really love to have the full Nav package.

I think part of the confusion is that if you have Sync you have the Sync navigation, which is different than the built in navigation with MFT.

I think part of the confusion is that if you have Sync you have the Sync navigation, which is different than the built in navigation with MFT.

I understand why someone might be confused by it. I am not and I especially do not expect the dealer to be.

In any case I wish Ford would do us all a solid and let us buy the thing. From my research there are many, many people that would be willing to pay the full price for it.

I understand why someone might be confused by it. I am not and I especially do not expect the dealer to be.

In any case I wish Ford would do us all a solid and let us buy the thing. From my research there are many, many people that would be willing to pay the full price for it.

I agree completely. The dealer should explain that. Trouble is the dealers don't really know their product very well.

I also agree they should let you upgrade. Not sure why they wouldn't unless they don't like making money?!?

I agree with the rest of you folks. Same exact thing happened to me. I'd be willing to pay for the upgrade too.

I have been hoping for the same thing and found some very cool info making me extremely hopeful for this

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2916415#post2916415

The INRIX Traffic/Nav App on the iPhone works well, and they have partnered with Ford SYNC Team.

When I emailed them about the use of their App with the MFT screen they mentioned some new programs were going to be released in 2012.

Another option is 3G iPad (or better yet 4G LTE iPad3 next month) mounted up front with INRIX Navigation App.

I used MotionX App on the iPad up front with industrial velcro and it worked very well. The downside it that if I ever get hit from the side, the iPad turns into a flying knife blade.

I just stumbled across this app myself. I have a 2013 limited. Any updates on your experience?

The Inrix Navigation App has recently been updated several times but it still can't be viewed on the SYNC MFT 8in screen. As w1kedz said above, Ford restricts the ability to push video from peripheral sources onto the MFT screen while in motion.

If someone designs a "LockPick" for defeating this then we may have something.

The audio from the Inrix App will go through the MFT audio system so you do get loud voice directions but video is restricted to your source.

The issue with peripheral electronics inside a vehicle not securely attached is a significant safety concern too.

I recently watched some video of some crash testing where they wanted to see what happens inside a Police vehicle with all the extra electronics mounted inside.

I was amazed at how the suction cup GPS devices, Satellite radios, Smartphones, and radar units all instantly came unattached and flew around the inside of the vehicle. The vehicles had crash test dummies inside with sensors and the feedback was that these flying objects often contacted the dummies with fatal blows, especially to the head.

So please make sure you secure your electronic peripherals, especially if your trying to do a cost effective DVD system for the kids.

The Inrix Navigation App has recently been updated several times but it still can't be viewed on the SYNC MFT 8in screen. As w1kedz said above, Ford restricts the ability to push video from peripheral sources onto the MFT screen while in motion.

If someone designs a "LockPick" for defeating this then we may have something.

The audio from the Inrix App will go through the MFT audio system so you do get loud voice directions but video is restricted to your source.

The issue with peripheral electronics inside a vehicle not securely attached is a significant safety concern too.

I recently watched some video of some crash testing where they wanted to see what happens inside a Police vehicle with all the extra electronics mounted inside.

I was amazed at how the suction cup GPS devices, Satellite radios, Smartphones, and radar units all instantly came unattached and flew around the inside of the vehicle. The vehicles had crash test dummies inside with sensors and the feedback was that these flying objects often contacted the dummies with fatal blows, especially to the head.

So please make sure you secure your electronic peripherals, especially if your trying to do a cost effective DVD system for the kids.

There is a lockpick device - I think W1kedz posted it awhile back. Trouble is that it's $500.00.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought the other issue with that one was that it isn't 100% plug and play, there was still the need to splice into OEM wiring.

The lock pick I bought for my GM Yukon came with OEM connectors that allowed 100% Plug & Play

Back