Deja Vu all over again | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deja Vu all over again

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
About 5 years ago the driver's front window on my daughter's 2000 Mountaineer somehow came off its track and jammed inside the door really well. I had to take most of the door apart to get the glass loose and determine what had happened.

It turned out the glass had pulled loose from the rear "U" shaped channel it's glued into and trying to put the window up/down the regulator did the rest. At the time only the rear channel had come loose and the front was still glued in place. I tried to get the front to let go, but it was firmly in place, so I left it alone, fearing I'd break the glass. I cleaned and re-glued the rear of the glass back into place using 3M yellow weather stripping adhesive (strongest most durable stuff I've ever used).

5 years have pasted and yesterday the glass starting acting weird again. I took the door apart, before the glass jammed, and found the front of the glass had now pulled out of its "U" channel. I wish Ford used a better method of attaching the glass to the regulator. They could at least use a channel that was about foot long (instead of the two 2" attachment points), and maybe use some glass tape instead of glue, or bolt the glass to the regulator the way GM does.

I wasn't able to clean up the glass or channel on the front piece (no good access without removing the regulator) so I filled the "U" channel with fresh weather stripping adhesive, seated the glass in the channel, put the glass up all the way and disconnected the window motor wires so the glass could not be lowered for 24 hours to give the adhesive plenty of time to cure. If we get another year out of it that will suffice.

My daughter planned to get a newer vehicle this year, but life got in the way. The old 2WD 5.0L Monty runs and drives great with 245,000 miles, but looks a bit rough. Judging from what other 1999-2001 Gen II V6's are selling for in my area now, I think we wont have any trouble getting $1500-$2000 for the old girl, being it's a V8, and currently needing nothing. I bought it 6 years ago with 179,000 miles on it for $2,100 and it's been a reliable vehicle. The only time it broke down was at the foot of my driveway when the POS Airtex fuel pump I installed in it crapped out with under 10K on it.

Newer radiator
Newer fuel pump
Newer A/C clutch
New idler and tensioner pulleys and new serpentine belt
New upper & lower ball joints and sway bar end links/bushings
Decent tires and recent wheel alignment
Good A/C and heat
Everything works as it should
New front rotors and ceramic front pads
New semi metallic rear pads
Equipped similar to a Eddie Bauer Explorer

Back