Denso Spark Plugs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Denso Spark Plugs

BeauJ

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Just bought FMS spark plug wires, now I'm in the market for spark plugs. I was told to stay away from Bosch, and told to go with the Denso Iridiums due to their high tolerance to detonation. And with my supercharger, I really don't want detonation. I'm beating a dead horse with a stick searching all the BS cheesy search engine sites, so does anyone know a legit website that sells Denso plugs for an 2000 5.0 explorer ?

P.S. - I've sent Denso 6 emails, not one response

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they are a really new product I believe.

Who else makes Irridium plugs? I thought a few other companies have followed suit?
I have no experience with them in a boosted application such as yours but personally I love the Bosch +4's, had nothing but great luck and performance with them in my vehicles and freinds as well. However I too have seen the horror stories, so its a toss up.
My second choice in plugs is NGK platinum, they make an excellent plug.
Motocraft double platinum are good too

Many people swear by the Autolite's

I think I saw them in a Performance Produts catalog.

I would stick with Motorcraft double plat if it were me.

Good luck......

On your application they "might" give you 2hp if that. For the money your better off getting some Autolites. You can get a full set for less than it costs for ONE of thoes.

Autolite for life :)

Gaining HP with the plugs is not what I have in mind at all. I'm trying to prevent detonation and burning a piston or slinging a rod. I don't care if I lose 5 HP as long as I can rely on the plugs. Better get that $104 bucks ready :banghead:

YOU DO NOT RUN PLATINUM PLUGS IN A BOOST/NITROUS MOTOR

Its a big no-no. Yes, Iridiums are great for boost applications. Problem is, they are horrendously expensive. You can achieve almost the same amount of detonation protection by running a plain old copper Motorcraft one heat range colder and dont forget to close the gap to......eh..... about .040 should do it.

Well I just bought the NGK Iridiums, half the price of the Denso plugs. James T, you said close the gap to about .040. Would that be the same on these plugs too?

.40 sounds about right....

NGK plugs are awesome.. i have the v-power ones in my toyota right now... the denso and the ngk v-power are what are actually specified as factory toyota replacements if it isnt going to be the toyota plug

ChopinOn22s said:
Well I just bought the NGK Iridiums, half the price of the Denso plugs. James T, you said close the gap to about .040. Would that be the same on these plugs too?
Yea, but i dont know about the Iridiums. I would think it would be the same rule of thumb, but i dont know anyone running them in a blower motor. You run a smaller gap than stock to keep the spark from flaming out under the increased cylinder pressures. So, um, yea i would run them at 40 i guess. Sorry, not too sure on those. :p

Back