offroader_69_me

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trinidad, Crawlorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
I just read in Stuff magazine today a distrubing fact:

87% of Explorer owners have never taken their vehicle offroad!

What a waste some people just have no idea, what they have!

On the same note a local guy bought a very clean used 94 it had only 35,000 miles on it with absolutely perfect interior and exterior, I know because I test drove it and looked at buying it, 3 short weeks ago. In this time he has managed to DESTROY the interior, sratch the hell out of the whole left side, scratches too not just custom pinstripes as we all do! and the worst part is he CHOPPED the fron coil springs and threw a 2 inch block under the rear axle then proceeded to put 13" gold spoked wheels on it with little tiny whitewall tires! And YES this is a 4x4 X, and this guy actually asked me a week before he did his little custom drop how much it would cost to lift it??? Oh well I guess to each his own, but man what a waste of a BEAUTIFUL X!

well now Marshall, I agree... to a point... but people buy the vehicle that will suit their needs and some people have no interest whatsoever in going off-road (most of the owners of SUV's etc.). And of course ya gotta remember that the SUV is designed for people to take their kids to school and back safely. Theres also probably statistics about how many people buy a pickup truck but have never filled the bed with manure, or towed a trailer, though those are two great functions of a truck. One of the super functions of an explorer is it's off-road capability, but if you've got no desire to do that, then I guess I wouldn't force anyone :)

Honestly I would say 100% of the people here in Colorado fufill the use of what Manufactores expect people to use their SUV for. When it snows they turn the 4x4 on. Very simple and to the point but that is the #1 reason 4 wheel drive is sold this day and age. Why do you think they put such week 4x4 componets in these trucks? Because they know it will not be used hard by 98% of their customer base.

Back