• Register Today It's free!

Electrical issues

bender

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Limited
My brother has a 96 sport. he has been having problems with his interior light staying on and his factory alarm going off randomly. he was thinking it was a sensor or something in the door that is causing this...has anyone had this or a similar problem? I will try to get more details from him.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ask if any of the doors sensors are acting funny, as in the lights don't always turn on when a particular door is opened, or maybe they flicker? Sounds like a plausable reason to me. If anything, check the Driver's side first since it gets the most use. And has he opened anything up lately? Possibly dammaged a wire behind the dash or door panels?

I talked to my bro to get more description his symptoms are
1) interior lights stay on constantly
2) door ajar light stays on
3) when he locks the doors with the remote keyless, the horn double beeps (saying there is a door ajar)
4) alarm goes off randomly
he's short on cash and I'd like to help him figure this out if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

I would suspect a door ajar switch too. If there is any way you can hook it up to a scan tool you could find out door is giving the open signal.

It's just the door ajar sensor in one of the doors. Unfortunately, I don't know much about these except for the ones on the back hatch. I do know those both for the window and hatch are on the driver's side latches.

Stupid question: has he made sure the rear hatch is closed? I know mine can close most of the way and appear closed but won't be fully shut.

RE:

Yeah I asked him that too about it being closed cause mine does that too where one side doesnt fully latch....about the sensors are they visible? and are they hard to replace? Thanks for the replies

The actaul door switches should be little plunger type switches mounted in the forward part of the door frame...one might be broken inside, causing the circuit to flow constantly.

I've been battling with this for way too long. It ended up it was my rear window. But it would act up all day and then be fine for a few days. Of course it was never trouble when I was trying to fix it. :rolleyes: Have him press and pull on the rear glass. That would make mine flicker off and on. If you look into the latch part(of the liftgate window) you can see the sensor. I unplugged it and the problem went away. It could be any of the doors tho.

Back