Depressurizing noise after turning '02 off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Depressurizing noise after turning '02 off

Sammy323

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Mountaineer
Help! Every time I turn off my '02 Mountaineer I hear a noise from under the hood like something is depressurizing. It is a low level moan that lasts for about 3 seconds. Could it be the breaking system or perhaps the power steering?

Performance of the car doesn't seem to be affected, but I would like to stop the noise so the clients don't hear it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe some type of vacuum leak. Check all your lines, start at the charcoal canister. I've never had trouble with mine, I don't know where it is.

is your check engine light on, if so take it to auto zone and let them read the error codes for free.

Check your fan as the engine is stopped, it seams the viscous clutch makes a groaning hissing sound and the fan spins down.... You could also check the overflow tank cap to see if its leaking pressure...

Did you find out what it was?

My '03 makes the same noise and has for years. Or I'm betting it's the same noise. My assumption on mine is it's the IAC valve. But it's just a minor annoyance so I haven't had the ambition to do anything about it.

Back