Development of Alternative to Ford's MFT software. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Development of Alternative to Ford's MFT software.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope I have not! Thanks for the tip. Definitely going to try to get in contact with this guy.

EDIT: Looks like he used this program from his post here:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271622&page=371

Post 3701

Looks like he got the software from here:
http://www.ucdsys.ru/?lang=en

Looks like I might not need to work on an open source version of MFT afterall if you can unlock the current MFT and mess with it. Although, the APIM can only be programmed through OASIS from what I see from the thread. I'll look into the capabilities of this a little more. My OBDII device still needs to be shipped though so I'll update you guys from my end after I receive it so I can test something.

Edit:
Okay, I tried using that software but I am guessing it is pre-programmed to be used with certain Ford vehicles in Europe. As for for making an alternative to MFT, I will be postponing this project until my internship is over. I am still hoping to make an open source alternative. As for communication with the HVAC and all those other systems, If someone can find what signals these systems take to cut my time on trying to figure it out. It would be extremely helpful as it is the part my buddy and I are trying to figure out at the moment.

Any update?

Any update?

Funny that you asked... I was thinking about this thread a day or two ago and was wondering how it was coming along.

I honestly haven't had time to work on it that much since my buddy and I have been too busy with our internships. One thing we realized is that if we tried to make an Open Source alternative, we would also have to work on the voice recognition stuff, which takes a lot of work. Then again, if we make the basic parts like making it work with the A/C, and the other necessities of the car, and since it'll be open source, people can help us with the other stuff. Right now, we just ran into a huge wall. A promising thing would be trying to contact that guy in Russia to help us figure somethings out but he hasn't replied to me.

Right now, I am really trying to understand how the CANbus system works and how other systems work with each other.

My friend and I discussed possibly using a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino to control the screen and bypass the APIM altogether for testing. I'll just have to keep playing with this until we get something. This project will probably take me a while to get right. I am trying to balance my school, my job, etc so I do apologize. It will probably take me more than a year to figure this out. So sorry for those who are hoping for something in the short term and for this lame update! I'll let you all know if I get something done on this!

EDIT: I just realized it was a bad idea to decompile the MFT code. I'll stick to trying to write my own libraries and stuff for it. I have not decomipiled and will not attempt to decompile any of the MFT code.

Right now, I am really trying to understand how the CANbus system works and how other systems work with each other.

My friend and I discussed possibly using a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino to control the screen and bypass the APIM altogether for testing. I'll just have to keep playing with this until we get something. This project will probably take me a while to get right. I am trying to balance my school, my job, etc so I do apologize. It will probably take me more than a year to figure this out. So sorry for those who are hoping for something in the short term and for this lame update! I'll let you all know if I get something done on this!

If you are talking about just bypassing MFT then your reinventing the wheel, you can use lockpick to get an RCA for video input. You could probably even reverse iGo's piggy back touch screen module for true touch capability

:thumbsup:

Well it's hard to access the main source code of the original MFT software. I am proposing an actual whole redo of the MFT. You know how Windows messes up one day and you just decide to put on Linux instead. I am suggesting to build a whole new interface, etc... bottoms up. I just think it'd be a cool project to do.
How Ford may reflash their APIM, install a new MFT version, etc, there's a way to reflash it and have the car accept new software/OS all together. I might have to write a few drivers myself to work with the hardware but my friend and I can figure it out.

The reason that I want to do this is that I know the MFT/ current hardware is very capable and it is very limited by Ford. I'd rather have my own customization and possibly create my own apps, make this thing open source, without the big oval controlling what I can or cannot do with MFT.

Although, with modifying anything, it voids warranty and there may be inherent risks so I want to be careful about how I am approaching this. I don't want to just make something and release it and ruin a bunch of other people's cars. So I will have to do some really intense self-testing with my friend to see first. I'll message people if they have good ideas or can maybe pitch in for help.

I mainly want to see how other owners feel about it and I'm wondering if making an alternative OS/ MFT software that is open source so that people can customize their MFT to their liking. I got this idea when I was developing my own security system for the Ford Explorer with a Raspberry Pi.

My friend and I are starting with the copy of MFT that I have we are seeing if if we can decompile some of the code just to see how the MFT software works with the car. Ford also released an SDK to make apps a while back so that can help some but that relies on the current MFT.

The only reason my friend and I are doing this by the way is because Applink isn't coming to the Ford Explorer, at least not the earlier years so we decided to just make it an open playground for us by creating an alternative to MFT altogether.

An alternative would be that instead of straight on just making a complete alternative to MFT, is to hack (Somewhat like rooting or jailbreaking) to get our own personal apps into MFT, that way, we could even add navigation if we wanted to, and it would open a market to people willing to make software/ hardware mods to the car. Also, if anyone wants some of the SDK's or API's Ford released, I found some here:
https://github.com/openxc/vi-firmware/releases
and you can get more if you apply to be a developer for Ford.

So I'll be doing something similar to this:

In that video, it demonstrates that you can add a GPS module or something to these arduinos and get GPS information. Now I know this is not exactly a full on step to an open source alternative to MFT, it is a step towards adding new functionality to the vehicle like adding GPS, via a 3rd party device and getting my friend and I familiar with how the car controls all the devices in the vehicle via canbus, and OBDII and what not. My friend already has a canbus reader from sparkfun and is testing it on his VW Golf at the moment.

Also, if we could possibly find a way to easily get into the wiring to communicate with the devices, my friend was thinking we could just have an arduino (or maybe an RPI would be better) with a touchscreen and some displays actually control any additional functions you want to add. So maybe a compliment to MFT would actually be better (for now). That way, you can still have your stock MFT and not have to worry about breaking your MFT, and having this complimentary system where you can customize and add your own apps, and somehow get it to communicate between MFT and the vehicle. This step is still annoying because then people would have to buy hardware and mess with wires and that is not cool. So the end goal is still to do an alternative to MFT.

As stated by a previous post by another forum member, doing a full on open source alternative to MFT will take years. So my plan is to get people who want to pitch in and I'll make a GitHub repository or something or a Google group to share their knowledge and inputs and possibly assist with code. This project is a really difficult one so I want people to understand that things may not go as planned.

As a note, my friend and I are trying to do this while following the laws in the United States. So we don't want to do anything illegal.

with a touchscreen and some displays actually control any additional functions you want to add. So maybe a compliment to MFT would actually be better (for now). That way, you can still have your stock MFT and not have to worry about breaking your MFT, and having this complimentary system where you can customize and add your own apps, and somehow get it to communicate between MFT and the vehicle. This step is still annoying because then people would have to buy hardware and mess with wires and that is not cool. So the end goal is still to do an alternative to MFT.

How is this different than my current setup? (iPad mounted on the dash under the MFT screen)?

An interesting topic. Some folks at the MINI2 website discussed the same thing in the early days of the MINI. The challenges then were the same as now.

I liked this installment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuIBvmrVpGA

Especially the part about what happens if you corrupt the canbus.

Lots of great insights from this guy.

I guess my ultimate question is "what functionality would you build in if you had the chance?"

Edit - while driving around yesterday, I was thinking about this some more. Controlling the entertainment cluster might be useful, as would controlling some lighting functions. The danger of course is corrupting the bus and screwing things up.

Right now, I want to add a 3rd control panel so you can possibly do your own ambient lighting with just a cheap roll of Chinese made LEDs. My friend was also thinking of adding an ultrasound sensor to the front bumper, some cheap 3 - 4 dollars ultrasound sensors and have it controlled with the said interface. So in this case, it would be adding functionality for cheap.

I'm still trying to find 1 Ford with this..

Right now, I want to add a 3rd control panel so you can possibly do your own ambient lighting with just a cheap roll of Chinese made LEDs. My friend was also thinking of adding an ultrasound sensor to the front bumper, some cheap 3 - 4 dollars ultrasound sensors and have it controlled with the said interface. So in this case, it would be adding functionality for cheap.
What do you mean by a third control panel? Like in addition to the screens on either side of the speedo?

We are planning to find a good spot to mount displays. A HUD type display would be super wicked. We might add a Touch Screen and additional little screens to display car information like transmission temp, oil temp, etc. The touch screen will somehow control addins to the vehicle like ambient lighting you might have made yourself. It will all connect to an arduino mega.

About the Mimic. What they do is have a 3rd party aftermarket screen installed in the car and it just uses your phone to process all the data. The screen just takes in the touch commands and sends it to the phone. Very interesting though. The reason you don't see it in Ford vehicles is that you already have a touchscreen. If only Ford would enable AppLink, then this would all be possible. Especially if they would have an API to control most of the vehicles functions.
http://motorreview.com/myford-touch-app-link/

We are planning
About the Mimic. What they do is have a 3rd party aftermarket screen installed in the car and it just uses your phone to process all the data. The screen just takes in the touch commands and sends it to the phone. Very interesting though. The reason you don't see it in Ford vehicles is that you already have a touchscreen.

From MimicsX2 site "This MimicsX2 universal kit is designed specifically to integrate into vehicles that are already equipped with a built in touchscreen monitor to give you the ultimate car play hybrid experience ever."

I still think you are reinventing the wheel. I have an iPad mounted just under the standard MFT screen. With a simple ODBII adapter and multiple apps I have access to all of the variables running over the CAN that you describe. It pushes song info and sound over bluetooth, and even integrates w/ my radar detector. I could use any range of automation apps (like X10 compatible stuff, or other brands) to do what you want w/ lighting, etc. None of this solves the issue of actually installing apps on MFT.

Here is a picture of my setup (I've since replaced the iPad w/ one that has a black bezel for aesthetics)

IMG_0071.JPG

From MimicsX2 site "This MimicsX2 universal kit is designed specifically to integrate into vehicles that are already equipped with a built in touchscreen monitor to give you the ultimate car play hybrid experience ever."

I still think you are reinventing the wheel. I have an iPad mounted just under the standard MFT screen. With a simple ODBII adapter and multiple apps I have access to all of the variables running over the CAN that you describe. It pushes song info and sound over bluetooth, and even integrates w/ my radar detector. I could use any range of automation apps (like X10 compatible stuff, or other brands) to do what you want w/ lighting, etc. None of this solves the issue of actually installing apps on MFT.

Here is a picture of my setup (I've since replaced the iPad w/ one that has a black bezel for aesthetics)

IMG_0071.JPG

What system are you using for this and what OBDII adapter?

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but this is something I'm interested in and I found a mimics x2 working on MFT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVKtjp_HyJY

This would be something I'd like to figure out how to get working. Best of both worlds. Be able to view all your maps or anything else for that matter right on the MFT.

Back