B-Squared still working on MFT (Perhaps Applink?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

B-Squared still working on MFT (Perhaps Applink?)

jrmexplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Some of you may remember this, but for the newbies, here's a brief history lesson. Ford hired a company called B-squared to develop MFT. After numerous failures, right around version 2.11 it was thought Ford fired B-squared and pulled development in-house or at least outsourced it to someone else.

According to B-squared's 10-q - available here: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-q-bsquare-corp-wa-2013-05-09

B-squared continues to work on MFT, but through Microsoft:

"Microsoft Corporation ("Microsoft") became our largest engineering services customer during the first quarter of 2012, replacing Ford Motor Company ("Ford"), as Microsoft replaced Ford as the invoiced customer on the MyFord Touch program. We continue to work on the MyFord Touch, a project we began with Ford during the second quarter of 2008; however, we now conduct these services through an agreement with Microsoft. The project has transitioned since the initial project such that we are now primarily focused on developing and integrating new user applications for the MyFord Touch, enhancing existing applications and customizing the MyFord Touch platform for additional vehicle models."

I'm not sure what this means exactly. I'd be disappointed if B-squared is in charge of fixing MFT as I feel their track record is less than stellar. However, the fact that they are supposedly "developing and integrating new user applications." is a positive in that they may be working on Applink.

hat tip to FRUSTRATEDFORDOWNER over at www.syncmyride.com for the info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure what this means exactly. I'd be disappointed if B-squared is in charge of fixing MFT as I feel their track record is less than stellar. However, the fact that they are supposedly "developing and integrating new user applications." is a positive in that they may be working on Applink.

It means that B-Squared is no longer involved in the development of MFT going forward, that they are only involved in maintaining their existing software to work w/ new vehicles and/or hardware. Since there are many installations of MFT there still needs to be maintenance, Microsoft would not want to be in charge of writing a new version of MFT and maintaining B-Squared's code at the same time if Ford wanted to release new vehicles/options before a new version of MFT is finished.

For instance. . . Say Ford were to add a new feature to the 2014 explorer like using your foot to open the tailgate. Say they needed an option in MFT to enable/disable this feature. B-Squared would obviously be in charge of adding this option to the existing version of MFT for the new vehicle.

This is completely unrelated to the possibility that MS is rewriting (we all hope) MFT.

It means that B-Squared is no longer involved in the development of MFT going forward, that they are only involved in maintaining their existing software to work w/ new vehicles and/or hardware. Since there are many installations of MFT there still needs to be maintenance, Microsoft would not want to be in charge of writing a new version of MFT and maintaining B-Squared's code at the same time if Ford wanted to release new vehicles/options before a new version of MFT is finished.

For instance. . . Say Ford were to add a new feature to the 2014 explorer like using your foot to open the tailgate. Say they needed an option in MFT to enable/disable this feature. B-Squared would obviously be in charge of adding this option to the existing version of MFT for the new vehicle.

This is completely unrelated to the possibility that MS is rewriting (we all hope) MFT.

Your explanation makes sense if B-Square wrote the code for version 3.5 and Ford is working on new code now. I hadn't thought of that idea as the rumor was that version 3.0 and greater was the new Ford/Microsoft developed code, which would make their claim that they are doing work on the existing code base curious (as older versions are not supported).

Of course this is all speculation as we have no idea who wrote what code. For all we know, Ford stripped B Square of the contract, only to tell Microsoft to fix it. Then Microsoft turned around and subcontracted it to B-Square !

I seriously doubt that Ford would contract B-Squared to code then B-Squared would "own" that code. As someone in industry whose company has contracted out custom applications (similar in a way to MFT), the company who paid the contract generally owns all rights to the code and can pay anyone to work on it at their discretion.
Now, that could nullify any kind of warranty from the provider, but that's about it.

Well....
a contract can be written any way and just so long as the parties agree..... :)

I seriously doubt that Ford would contract B-Squared to code then B-Squared would "own" that code. As someone in industry whose company has contracted out custom applications (similar in a way to MFT), the company who paid the contract generally owns all rights to the code and can pay anyone to work on it at their discretion.
Now, that could nullify any kind of warranty from the provider, but that's about it.

I didn't say anything about them "owning code".. I said they are still maintaining it for Ford. This is confirmed by their own press release.

Back