1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
Dear Ford,

I just want to suggest that Ford removes the restrictions that the vehicle has to be stopped or parked in order for us to even mess with the MFT.

This is because I usually have passengers in the car that can use the touchscreen for me so I'm not being distracted at all.

I actually want to be able to use the video functionality in the MFT while I'm driving to allow my passengers to watch videos.

If Ford is going to be all legal about this, why not just have the option to turn off the restrictions that shows a warning about disabling it + terms saying that Ford isn't reliable if the driver gets distracted? That way, Ford is safe and the people who will use the system properly can use the system to it's full potential.

Also, since the MFT is a very capable system, why not allow people to freely develop apps for the MFT and download/ use them? HP's webOS tablet downfall was a result of having no one developing any good apps for it. If you allow people to develop apps and have them freely install it on say, a flash drive and plug it in to the system, it just makes people want the system anymore. I don't see any business gains if you restrict what kind of apps people can download.

Having the ability to customize and interact with the MFT is what really allows the customer to feel like the vehicle is their own. Maybe allowing the customers to actually change the interface to how they want such as different text to speech voices for SYNC. Just an idea.

For the last part, we all know the MFT hardware is a bit on the slow side, is there any possible way we can opt to upgrade our MFT with a faster, higher performance APIM with a faster processor with more ram? And if we needed space to store data, just have the user buy an extra flash drive to hold apps and songs since the Explorer has no HDD.

Also, if hardware is the issue, which I feel that it might be because people have to get their APIM's replaced, why not redesign it and stop giving us the same crap that is not working in the first place? The fan assemblies that are causing overheating and the APIM just needs a major redesign. I don't know if a very cold day has anything to do with it but my MFT has been acting up lately.

Also, based on what I saw from videos about the upcoming MFT upgrade, I would like to be able to change the settings of having what shows up on the main screen. I saw that the clock was bigger but the temperature information was gone. The information/ Navigation tab should have better information like a quick browser to look at transmission fluid life, oil life percentage, and maybe some faqs/ tutorials about vehicle functionality that tells which modes to use for the Advance Trac in certain conditions.

I hope my ideas make sense and I hope it gets considered. I just want more freedom and functionality for 1,000 dollar system that has been giving so many owners headaches. If Ford not only fixes the issues but actually uses the MFT to it's full capabilities, it would leave Ford Explorer owners with a piece of mind that they actually made the right choice by buying a Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Along the same lines I gather that you have to be going less than 5mph even if you use the standard (built in) responses to send a text message?

Is that right?

Or tie into the seat sensors and only enable the features over 5mph if an adult is sitting in the passenger seat? My only though there is those sensors are used for the air bag and as such may be isolated.

Dear Ford,

I just want to suggest that Ford removes the restrictions that the vehicle has to be stopped or parked in order for us to even mess with the MFT.

I agree. I just noticed this "restriction" last night when looking for a restaurant and the passenger attempted to enter it into the navigation system. We had to pull over and input our destination.

My '06 Acura RL navigation system allows the driver the capability to enter a destination physically OR by spelling the street name and address via the voice commands...both allowable when driving. I wish the Ex had this capability.

The only difference is that every time you start up the Acura, you need to push "ok" before anything starts up. That start up screen (or nag screen) has legal jargon about using the navi system when driving etc.. etc.. and saying that "safe vehicle operation is the driver's responsibility." I wouldn't mind that nag screen if it meant giving Ex drivers (or passengers) the capability to use the navi while the car is in motion.

So you're talking about navigation? Because I can use MFTwhile in motion. It controls the radio, HVAC and phone, and they all work while the vehicle is in motion, as does the setup screen for the phone.

As of right now... I just want MFT to work! :D

Patiently waiting for next quarter.

They're not going to disable that. My 07 Camry has the same restriction, and it is a major hacking exercise to disable, very, very few have ever dove far enough into the guts of the programming to disable it. Previous versions could have one file copied from an even older version before burning a navigation CD to allow it, but they figured that out and now prevent the patch. It's a safety thing, Ford is already on a hit list for having the texting thing, they're never going to sign off on a disable menu.

"If Ford is going to be all legal about this, why not just have the option to turn off the restrictions that shows a warning about disabling it + terms saying that Ford isn't reliable if the driver gets distracted? That way, Ford is safe and the people who will use the system properly can use the system to it's full potential."

You don't understand. Your legal warning might prevent YOU from suing Ford, but it has no legal effect on a THIRD PARTY that you injure because you are distracted by Ford's infotainment system.

Ford might put in an indemnification clause (e.g., you agree to reimburse Ford if that happens), but Ford realizes that you probably would just go bankrupt and leave Ford holding the bag....

They're not going to disable that. My 07 Camry has the same restriction, and it is a major hacking exercise to disable, very, very few have ever dove far enough into the guts of the programming to disable it. Previous versions could have one file copied from an even older version before burning a navigation CD to allow it, but they figured that out and now prevent the patch. It's a safety thing, Ford is already on a hit list for having the texting thing, they're never going to sign off on a disable menu.

Hit list for texting? Hmm .... I thought it was a little over the top (safety wise) that i couldn't provide a line number to a canned response, via voice, to a text message.

If you can actually type in a message while driving (I'd argue it should be available if passenger is in car) then I think even 5mph is too fast.

Back