• Register Today It's free!

did a 5 speed swap need help asap

Doomie17

Reaction score
City, State
harford county, md
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 limited, 93 xlt
so i had a 5r55e and it blew so i wanted to go 5 speed. so i found a 98 sport and grabbed the trans wiring harness and ecu. both engines are 4.0 ohv . and the manual ecu wont let the truck fire up so i had to put the auto ecu in and the it wont stay running. im confussed as hell and i need some help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PATS! Your anti-theft system works with the ECU, pats module and the transponder key. You will need the dealer to reprogram the pats system so that the codes in the ECU, pats module, and key will match.

The alternative is to go back to the truck you got the parts from and get the matching pats module behind the passenger airbag as well as the lock cylinder and ignition key(s).

One other thing that I failed to realize was that you used a 98 ECU in a 00 model truck. I was thinking about this some more earlier today and I realized that the 98 models used a return type fuel system, and the 99-01 explorers use a returnless fuel system. This may also contribute to some problems, even after you take care of the PATS issue.

thers no pats issue i went ahead and put the auto ecu and harness back in and it fires up. i am just throwing o2 sensor codes. so its running real rich and i have to keep my foot on the gas. lol and its throwing code since the auto trans isnt there. so im thinkjing i might have fried my o2 sensors with the 98 harness since the o2 sensors are different.

U will need PCM from same year explorer as yours-that had 5spd, take to dealer gets Pats straightened out, mine swap doesnt have clutch deal, just used auto wiring harness and wired it so can start whenever i hit switch, in gear, clutch in or out, mine ran good with auto ecm, but threw all codes for not having auto behind it. I had to get xcal3 and reflash my current ecm, since they didnt make sohc 4.0 with 5spd ecm, that didnt have Pats.

its not pats lol cause i just figured out why my truck was being so *****y thanks to a can of starting fluid. when i took the intake off to replace the harness i didnt realize how bad the gasket was and well yea i had a huge air leak into the manifold and thats why it was shutting off.

Back