• Register Today It's free!

Did I get hosed?

wedivebc

Reaction score
City, State
Errington BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ranger Sport 4X4
I just bought a 08 Ranger last week. The actual options I wanted were not available on a local truck so the salesman said "no problem, we can add that". So when we were dicussing options I said I could just take the tow hitch off my '98 Ranger and it should fit. He said "yes but you will also want the tranny cooler that comes with the class 3 package" OK I think for the $280 extra the package cost I'll go for it. Already long story short, I get a call from the salesman yesterday that the installation will cost me $500 since it was a dealer install not a factory installed option. I get home and see there is no tranny cooler installed. I have been charged $500 to install a trailer hitch which I did in less than 1 hr (including wiring) on my 98. The labour cost was $250 for this job.
So my 2 questions are:
Do I need a tranny cooler to tow a 3000lb boat?
Is my dealer a crook?

thanks,
Dave...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$500 for a hitch that costs $100? did it take them 5 hours to install it?! that's BS

i got a used tranny cooler for $80 from a local full service yard....

you got hosed......

I'd raise hell...

Lemon law there ass. Take it back and say you cant afford it. In New Mexico i think you have 15-30 days. Not sre about there.

Did I read correctly that they charged you $500 to install a hitch that you already owned?

Wow, that's slightly ridiculous. I too would raise hell.

Did I read correctly that they charged you $500 to install a hitch that you already owned?

No, on the salesman's advice I left the hitch on the 98 that I sold, believing I was only going to pay $280 for the class 3 towing package option when the truck was delivered. I was also lead to believe the towing package included a trans cooler which apparently it does not. So it was $250 parts and $250 labour for a trailer hitch. The sales manager is suppose to be calling me back after talking with the service department.
Update after he calls.

What did you have in writing when you purchased the new truck?

How do you know a class 3 towing package included a trans cooler?

Ya, you got hosed, with 200psi while he was at it.

The tow package should have included the tranny cooler, wiring and hitch from the factory.

I pulled my boat all summer without the tow package, and its fine if you are going short distances on flat surfaces, but up here in Canada, we got lotsa hills, so I upgraded my tow package to the cooler and filter.

too bad you already have the vehicle in posession, as you could have told them to find you a truck with the options you wanted that was off their lot. This would have forced them to negotiate more as it is in their best interest to sell "their" vehicles first for the best profit. To bring one in, they would actually make less.

$500, that was brutal

What did you have in writing when you purchased the new truck?

How do you know a class 3 towing package included a trans cooler?

As per my first post :
ford salesman said:
He said "yes but you will also want the tranny cooler that comes with the class 3 package

dude, I work at a dealership and you got screwed i would be talkin to the service advisor. if they did not inform you of the costs ahead of time then they were misleading you to get your money. not to mention they over charged you

You have nothing in writing? Just the "word of a salesman"?

What is in the documentation that you received when you purchased the truck?

It surely sounds like you got screwed, I'm just not sure where the fault lies.

Back