Did my fuel pump freeze in this below 0 weather? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Did my fuel pump freeze in this below 0 weather?

Hey guys;

Really appreciate everyone's input here. All good stuff.

It's a job I'd have done myself years ago when I owned a home with garage. I had a decent setup. Good overhead lighting. 80 gal 5hp compressor. 3/4" copper pipe system (w/drip legs and ball valves throughout) bringing air to two locations (front and rear) of garage. 12' long workbench w/4x4 legs (solid, solid construction). Cabinets. Tools. Air conditioned and heated. Cable TV. Fridge. Even commercial grade carpet remnant 12'x16' on floor.

Sold in 2007. Long story.

Found local shop who said $508 to repl pump only and fuel filter. 90 day warranty parts/labor.

Found Ford dealer (different than first Ford dealer) who said $909 to repl complete pump/sending unit and fuel filter. 2 years parts/labor warranty.

The filter I could do myself in driveway. That saves me about $60 on each bill.

Sigh.....you know option #2 is the way to go.

Funny how things work out. I once had two trucks (1955 Dodge C1B8 Job Rated...all orig and ran like sweet sewing machine; 1988 Datsun beater); a 1983 208ZX Turbo (never saw rain/snow/wet roads); and 1984 HD FLH (mint, mint, mint).

All I've got left is the FLH (in rented, secure garage) and this Mountaineer. And no where to work on either.

Hey guys;

Really appreciate everyone's input here. All good stuff.

It's a job I'd have done myself years ago when I owned a home with garage. I had a decent setup. Good overhead lighting. 80 gal 5hp compressor. 3/4" copper pipe system (w/drip legs and ball valves throughout) bringing air to two locations (front and rear) of garage. 12' long workbench w/4x4 legs (solid, solid construction). Cabinets. Tools. Air conditioned and heated. Cable TV. Fridge. Even commercial grade carpet remnant 12'x16' on floor.

Sold in 2007. Long story.

Found local shop who said $508 to repl pump only and fuel filter. 90 day warranty parts/labor.

Found Ford dealer (different than first Ford dealer) who said $909 to repl complete pump/sending unit and fuel filter. 2 years parts/labor warranty.

The filter I could do myself in driveway. That saves me about $60 on each bill.

Sigh.....you know option #2 is the way to go.

Funny how things work out. I once had two trucks (1955 Dodge C1B8 Job Rated...all orig and ran like sweet sewing machine; 1988 Datsun beater); a 1983 208ZX Turbo (never saw rain/snow/wet roads); and 1984 HD FLH (mint, mint, mint).

All I've got left is the FLH (in rented, secure garage) and this Mountaineer. And no where to work on either.

I just replaced my fuel pump/strainer and my fuel filter last weekend. I cut out an access in my floor board with a grinder and cutting wheel. It was done in my driveway and it was cold - easily single digits and windy. It sucked but it beat dropping the tank and it surely beat paying some $500-600 to get it done. Cost me about $125 in parts from Autozone and a couple hours work in the cold ass weather. It wasn't fun but it was easily worth it to have my truck fire up first time every time now. Before I changed it, the truck was having a hard time in the frigid weather. Fuel pump wouldn't prime, but normally would eventually after trying for a while. If you are interested, I have some pictures and "instructions" in a thread I started in the modified 95-01 Explorer sub forum.

Some guys are worried about cutting the floor up. I'm not. The truck is 17 years old with 220k miles and going. I patched the hold up with a trimmed piece of 12x18" held down with some self tappers. Threw some duct tape over the seams to prevent and possible noise or exhaust and pulled the carpet back over the patched hole. It's under the seat, under the carpet, and under then sheetmetal access. No one will ever know. And hell, I'm never gonna sell the beast. And I can't imagine that if someone went about bought a 17 year old Ex with 220k+ miles on it, that they would really be concerned about an access like that.

I got 220k miles out of my fuel pump. I'm good with that. I think changing yours would make a difference, especially in the cold. Like I said, mine has started first time every time since, and temps have been in the single digits since.

Back