Diesel conversion?

Blackmajik

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Hey guys,
I searched on here before posting this and forgive me if I overlooked the location of any thread that may talk about this......
Has anyone seen, done, or heard of a diesel conversion being done on an Expolrer?

yes, a daihatsu diesel, single cylinder 12HP aircooled, stuffed into an explorer. J/k but if you do, choose turbo diesel, because otherwise, you will not have half the performance. (pulling power, not passing power)

that would be awesome if they made a turbo diesel explorer

Your best options in my opinion would either be a Cummins 3BT/4BT, Isuzu 4BD1T/4BD2TC or a Perkins 4236. All are available with a SAE #3 bell housing which means any Chevy transmission will bolt up with readily available adapters.

The 3BT/4BT can be found in Frito-Lay delivery trucks and I think some UPS trucks. The Isuzu can be found in '85-'98 NPR box trucks. The Perkins can be found in Gen-Sets and many marine applications and some fork-lifts.

I would go with the Isuzu as its easier to find, has more forum support and is cheaper than the 3BT/4BT. The '85-'91 4BD1T was rated at 128hp and the '92-'98 4BD2TC was rated at 135hp.

Back