• Register Today It's free!

Diesel Swap

fr0st m0nkey

Reaction score
City, State
Stockton, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
Has this been done before on our generation explorers? I have a 4.0 so I'm assuming I'd need a new tranny considering how **** it is to begin with. A 6BT would be a sweet swap. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

6bt probably wouldn't fit. Go for the 4bt...

Subscribing. I DEFINITELY want to see where this one goes.

6b will fit you just need to move you radiator infront of the rad support, air to water intercooler or go old school and don't run an intercooler. Stick with a 3.5 inch down pipe and flip the stock b exhaust manifold upside down to make more turbo to fender well clearance. Also you will have to notch the oil pan right in front of the rear sump. There is a good bit of mods needed but it can be done. Fine a 1at gen or second mechanical b series dodge as a donor. You will need to upgrade your front suspension and steering system... Stock will not hold up at all! Same goes for the t case and Tranny. Pm me if you want more details I'm going off the top of my head but I have everything written down to do it including wiring to get it running. Never did figure out the stock gauges tho.

I'd like to see this worked out as well. Anyone think the 5r55w would live behind the 4BT? I have a lead on some 4BT's and sure would like it over the 4.0 SOHC motor.

i'd like to see this worked out as well. Anyone think the 5r55w would live behind the 4bt? I have a lead on some 4bt's and sure would like it over the 4.0 sohc motor.

NO, It wont.

perkins diesel

I worked on an old bread truck that had had a 4 cyl perkins diesel in it torque like crazy and very small

anything is possible with a welder, plasma cutter, and a small cubic-yard-o-cash....

I think a dodge 6d would be awesome...

Rob

Does the 5r55w share the same bell housing bolt pattern as the 4.6/5.4 engines? I think it does. IF it does, the adapter from de-stroked would allow the bolt up of a 4bt to the trans. There are some high performance parts coming out for the 5r55w. I realize once it's in, then the fun begins (no pun intended) but at least that would have a large part of the fabrication out of the way. What say you???

The 4.0 v-6 5r55w is a smaller bellhousing and DOES NOT fit up to the 4.6/5.4, but the internals r close to the same from what i can tell.

So you would have to change over to something like a 4r70 and it's transfer case. This wouldnt bother me too much as mine is the AWD which I am not very fond of. You would still need a stand alone trans controller and some way to controll the x-case. It would be a headache but sure would be cool. The fuel mileage would sure be nice. Bet you'd be close to 30mpg or better which would be alot better than the 18 mine gets on the highway.

The 4.0 v-6 5r55w is a smaller bellhousing and DOES NOT fit up to the 4.6/5.4, but the internals r close to the same from what i can tell.

You are correct, the 4.0l 5r55 does not fit the 4.6/5.4. However there is a 4.6l version of the 5r55, and except for the torque converter, the internals are identical to the 4.0l version.

Back