Diesel Swaps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diesel Swaps

auto_x5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Basehor, KS
I have a way to get a good deal on a low horsepower 4 cylinder diesel motor that can be turned up to make about 150hp and around 300-400lbs-ft of torque. Has anybody ever done this? It was just an idea, I like diesel motors more than gas lol, just personal preference. Just an idea I had.
Thanks for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A quick search revealed an in progress swap of a 4bt into a second gen explorer http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321521&highlight=diesel+explorer
I've also seen pics somewhere on here of a 4BT very nicely swapped into a first gen sport so it's certainly been done

While more expensive to maintain and repair I too prefer the diesel, especially if it's manually injected. Something very sweet about the throttle response

A quick search revealed an in progress swap of a 4bt into a second gen explorer http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321521&highlight=diesel+explorer
I've also seen pics somewhere on here of a 4BT very nicely swapped into a first gen sport so it's certainly been done

While more expensive to maintain and repair I too prefer the diesel, especially if it's manually injected. Something very sweet about the throttle response

I would love to be able to search, by the way the webpage is on my laptop's screen won't let me click on it to seach anything :thumbdwn:

You might need a new tranny for 300-400 ft-lbs (I don't really know the torque spec.s on our trannies), but I say go for it!

You'll get really good mpg too if you don't go crazy tuning the diesel.

It'll be a lot of work though.

BTW - 12Valvepower, that's a damn nice swap - where'd you get that gauge cluster?

Jegs is where the cluster came from. If you get an automatic behind the 4BT its most likely going to be a TH400 and the only place around that knows how to build a TH400 for a 4bt is PTC (256)-383-6868. I've been everywhere and had the transmission out 7 times but PTC got it right!

_10150572935957195_503997194_10855098_130873510_n1.jpg

Cant really tell it's a 4bt with a TH400 on full width tons and 37" h1 tires, but check out the BLACK SMOKE by the bumper. Oh yeah this is a daily driver!

Where's the best place to pull a 4bt out of? Right now Im looking at Isuzu and Kubota diesels, I really want a 4bt but there's none really local for me.

Old bread trucks, frito lay trucks, and fed ex trucks are the best because they have a scheduled maintainance routine. I know where a complete truck is for 4k in southern middle tn. The bad news about the 4bt is cummins has issued a destroy order for any engine they pull for repair. So finding a cheap used one is getting harder to do.

See I'm looking for just an engine, hell even a 6bt would work. I want something different, and that will actually get better MPG than what I have now.

I would recommend that you get at least an engine tranny combo.... And alot of times it ends up cheaper to buy a whole truck. This is just from my personal experience.

Yeah, I may buy a donor truck. Depends on how everything lines up. Now how hard was the 6bt to retro-fit? Was there tons of fab work?

Macknos94 is doing a 6bt swap into his mounty right now. He's staying off the site untill its done. If you wait I'm sure he'd give you how parts list and you can follow his lead

6b will fit you just need to move you radiator infront of the rad support, air to water intercooler or go old school and don't run an intercooler. Stick with a 3.5 inch down pipe and flip the stock b exhaust manifold upside down to make more turbo to fender well clearance. Also you will have to notch the oil pan right in front of the rear sump. There is a good bit of mods needed but it can be done. Fine a 1at gen or second mechanical b series dodge as a donor. You will need to upgrade your front suspension and steering system... Stock will not hold up at all! Same goes for the t case and Tranny. Pm me if you want more details I'm going off the top of my head but I have everything written down to do it including wiring to get it running. Never did figure out the stock gauges tho.

The new 3rd gen is in lock down right now and won't be coming out till hot rod week in oc Maryland where she will hopefully be all finished. Sas with a simple five speed mechanical diesel are in the blue prints just like my old one but with a twist.

This pretty much sums up all I had to do to get my 6bt in a 99 Explorer. Very simple, only took 1 month with two guys working on it nights and weekends. And I thought I would add.... I drive it everyday with stock suspension and steering.... VERY RELIABLE!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347671

You people are making me research 4bt swaps again on 4btswaps.com... Damn you... Lol. I HAD money... Need to find a job before my savings runs out...

You people are making me research 4bt swaps again on 4btswaps.com... Damn you... Lol. I HAD money... Need to find a job before my savings runs out...

You wont have any money left if you attempt a 4bt swap. ;)

Lol ya, I've read what people have done and that's doing it themselves. I was just reading about the 99 ranger 4bt swap and the "you'll never know more then me about ranger based vehicles" lolz. Im just bored... Miss my ranger:( bout the only swapping I'm doing is shackle for shackle...need to even out my rear. My expo looks like a poor mans prerunner, or a wannabe one.

Lol ya, I've read what people have done and that's doing it themselves. I was just reading about the 99 ranger 4bt swap and the "you'll never know more then me about ranger based vehicles" lolz. Im just bored... Miss my ranger:( bout the only swapping I'm doing is shackle for shackle...need to even out my rear. My expo looks like a poor mans prerunner, or a wannabe one.

I've got over $5000 into my 4BT swap, and its still not in the truck! I am kinda going overboard, but I figure spend the the money and do it right the first time.

Back