Difference between braking systems [adaptive cruise vs. regular] | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Difference between braking systems [adaptive cruise vs. regular]

foxtemple

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
I was just curious to see what the difference is in the braking system between an ex with adaptive cruise and an ex without adaptive cruise. I have adaptive cruise and notice that when the ex starts to apply the brakes by itself and gets to around 15mph it will chime and release the brakes. That is what happens and is what is stated in the manual. I have noticed that when my ex gets to the 15mph mark and release the brakes it is very very rough for some reason. Much rougher then if I was doing the exact same thing [slowing down to 15mph from highways speeds and suddenly releasing the brake]. Does anyone have any insight into this phenomenon? Is it normal?

I'm trying to figure out this rubbing sound I get when accelerating from a stop and was curious as to whether or not anyone thinks this could be related.

...I'm trying to figure out this rubbing sound I get when accelerating from a stop and was curious as to whether or not anyone thinks this could be related.

Hi foxtemple,

Have you brought this up to your dealership so they can check it out? They'll be in the best position to diagnose and repair any potential concerns. Touch base with me after your visit; if you need any assistance at that time, I'll be happy to do what I can to help! :)

Crystal

I can't add anything technical here, but I've found with mine w/ adaptive cruise it slows down to about 15 and then it pushes the brakes pretty hard almost to get your attention and slow down that last bit before letting them go. While I wouldn't describe mine as rough, it's like stabbing the pedal and letting it go. Not sure if thats what you are experiencing but thats how it feels to me.

I can't add anything technical here, but I've found with mine w/ adaptive cruise it slows down to about 15 and then it pushes the brakes pretty hard almost to get your attention and slow down that last bit before letting them go. While I wouldn't describe mine as rough, it's like stabbing the pedal and letting it go. Not sure if thats what you are experiencing but thats how it feels to me.

You are probably right. I guess the car pumps the brake a little when it reaches the 16mph mark. Thanks for your insight.

Back