• Register Today It's free!

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MODELS

daniel cauchon

Reaction score
City, State
Terrebonne,Province of Quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer Limited
Hi ! could anybody tell me the difference between the XLT,XL,LIMITED, SPECIAL EDITION,EDDIE BAUER.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The XL is the lowest trim you can get on an Explorer. If I remember correctly, it has standard vinyl seating, manual everything but you can get optional cloth and power windows and locks.

The XLT is the most popular trim on the Explorer line. There are two packages. One is the standard package which includes power windows and locks. The other package has fog lights, high series center console, premium sport bucket seats, etc...

The Eddie Bauer has two different packages from '95-'98. The base Eddie Bauer package is just like the XLT, no fog lights, standard radio, etc... But it has the Eddie Bauer leather buckets, two tone paint treatment, fender flare. The optional Eddie Bauer package is just like a Limited. It includes fog lights, high series center console with a trip computer, Ford/JBL sound system, automatic climate control, and keyless entry with security alarm.

The Limited is the top-of-the-line model. It has all the Eddie Bauer's optional package plus memory power mirror and driver seat, 4-Corner Air Ride Suspension (standard on '95-'96 with 4X4, optional on '97-'98 4X4) (optional rear load leveling suspension on '99-'01), color keyed steering wheel, and low back bucket seats with headrests.

There're no Special Edition model. The only thing I can think of is the XLS. The XLS replaced the XL in '99.

thank `s alot Billy very clear.

No problem Daniel. If anyone has something to add, you're welcome to do that.

what about the expedition model? are those any different?

Oh yeah, there's an Expedition model in '95. The Expedition model is only available on two door models and basically has everything the XLT has and has optional JBL system, leather, autodimming mirror with autolamp, etc...

Yeah, so are the XL's and Eddie Bauers. The Limited and Sports have color keyed grills. The front end on the '95-'98 Limiteds are different from the others.

I know a lot about the first gen, 91-94 XL (Of course, the family has 4) :)

Any model of Explorer in 91-94 could get options of the next model up. The XL did not come standard with roof racks, side trim, or pinstriping. They were all options though. Rare XLT models are missing the roofracks, though, as they came in a very popular exterior package. XL came in one color only, no two tone.

The wheels are steel as opposed to alloy on the XLT and above. Once again, a small number of XLT's have these wheels.

XL came with a base vinyl seat that only the lowest of optioned vehicles had. 95% of the XL's I have seen have cloth, including mine.

The early models had a different dash paint scheme too. The radio cluster trim panel is all black on an XL and some XLT's. The Eddie Bauer and High series XLT's had a 60%black,40% colored dash trimpiece.

If any body has any other questions, just ask, as I have studied many different Explorers, and I notice all the little changes.

Ok Mine doesn't fit any of those model types so what is it?
Spec: 1998 4.0 sohc 5speed auto 4door
front driving lights
chrome bumper/grille
fender arches/sills
two tone paint
leather
front seats have integral headrests (all in one)
basic audio radio/cass (no amp/sub)
sunroof with overhead console (temp/compass)
basic vent controls (three dials)
remote locking
elec windows/sunroof
RHD with floor shifter

In UK they call it XLT but no badge at all
They all seem to be the same spec over here
exept one called northface which has body painted bumpers/ wood dash/ side airbags/ and the front seats have seperate headrests.

Over to the experts!

Dealers have local dealer only special pakages and they spend about 500 on additional options and raise the price 1500-2000. Here in North Dakota jsut like some other states there is the Northland Edition Fords (Ranger, F-series, Explorer, and Escape). Basically it has 4wd and a block heater w/aluminum rims. I know these may have other options too. Who out there has a Northland Edition, please fill in.
Kurt

Well, as foreign models are quite different, I am just guesssing on the type here.

Does the two tone paint have tan on the bottom, or simply another color?

It sounds like you have the equivalent to the U.S. Eddie Bauer, but with out a high end stereo. All the other stuff you listed usually comes on an Eddie Bauer, except the floor shifter. The Explorers here never had a floor shifter for the transmission, only for the manaul transfer case.....

Its teracotta red over grey
and I should have said
4x4 with auto/4x4 high/4x4low
also selvel leveling rear suspension
as far as I can tell this is straight from usa like this ( our dealers wouldn't know what to do they hardly see any x's)

I did notice in a thread about floor shifts that the australian ones look exactly the same as mine does this mean this is standard export version?

The build plant should be on a sticker on the drivers side door jamb. If it is built in Lousiville, Kentucky, then it is an export. If it is anywhere but there, it is a foreign made vehicle.

I am betting it is an Export made in the states.....

How is it incomplete? Is some of it missing? That is against the law. Maybe you have a stolen X or something:eek:

No all they have done is leave off the paint codes?
But thanks to your help I have managed to resolve that.
( not compusory in UK to include paint codes on vin plate)

Paint codes are not compulsory here either. They are just stated on the door sticker for refrence.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know with the 02, the XLT didn't offer the auto/dual climate control otherwise I would have got an XLT. Also, the Limited didn't offer the rear climate control seperate... that and I didn't like the chrome rims. So I went Eddie Bauer.

The XLT external trim panels were colored 2-tone plastic, the EB they are painted 2-tone plastic, the Limited they are painted to match.

Back