Difference in transmissions from 93-2001? (V8 vs. V6?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Difference in transmissions from 93-2001? (V8 vs. V6?)

TRAXX

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 4x4
Both my parents drive explorers. My Dad a 93 and my Mom a 2000 4x4 V6. Is the transmission the same in those two cars? I know the 4x4 has a transfer case but other than that is the actually tranny the same?

My reason for asking is there is a local guy parting out a 98 V8 Explorer and was thinking it might be a good idea for my parents to grab that transmission for when the inevitable happens. Will that trans bolt up to either of their explorers? What is a good price for a used 4R70W? He said there was about 50k miles on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Um the 93 and 00 use a different trans. The v-8 uses a different trans. None of them would swap to each other

Th '93 has a A4LD transmission which is a 4 spd trans.
The 2000 has electronic shift trans called the 5R55E which is a 5 spd trans. The '98 explorer V8 has a electronic shift 4R70W which won't fit on the v6 engines. Different bellhousing bolt pattern.

Trevor.. does this guy have the hatch off the '98?! :D

Originally posted by section525
Trevor.. does this guy have the hatch off the '98?! :D
LoL! You are relentless.

Dude.. my Dads in TX right now and just bought a new F150! This could work out great! :D

I hope it is hot pink :D
It may just work out ;)

It has to be marble to match my paint job.

Dead Link Removed

lmao

Back