Differences between the Sport and Limited | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differences between the Sport and Limited

Explorer, the 401a package on the sport states it adds 10 way power seat, is that wrong ?

Thanks

WC

Its 10 way, your right, I set it once and leave it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All

I also heard that on the limited switching out the stock air filters for K&N can help improve the pickup of the limited, anyone tried this ? Certainly don't expect this to do miracles but letting the vehicle breath more should enhance something (not expecting SPORT performance) :)

WC

I am in the process of buying the 2014 Sport and I can't believe it does not have the heated wheel or rain sensing wipers!!! If this is the top of the line Explorer why aren't these important features included???

I would expect this from a $56,000 vehicle!

I agree with you. This was part of the reason I got a 2015 instead of a 2014 (2015 now has heated wheel, but still no rain sensing wipers). But I paid dearly, as much better deals could be had on 2014's.

I think there are two reasons for the missing options. Ford is conscious about price point. To have the Sport come with all the same things as the LTD would probably force its MSRP up too much over $50k, and they believe that sales will drop off. So they intentionally keep out a few luxury items that their research tells them people will accept it without. The other reason I suspect is that they think loading it too much might cause the price to get too close to the Lincoln products, causing confusion or competition. I can't believe that the skimping on the LTD options is due to production reasons - the cars are all very similar and made in the same place; it actually seems like it is more work to leave out certain options than to include them.

I am a buyer who's moving out of a series of higher-end German SUVs, having been attracted to Ford value for $, very disappointing durability issues with those high-technology German brands (they build in complexity seemingly just for complexity's sake), and an almost complete absence of independent repair facilities willing to work on them. (They become money pits when you own them out of warranty, and dealer repair shops (the techs at many of which are just parts-swapping guessers) are your only repair option.) On the new Sport, I would definitely have gone for HID lights, heated wheel, rain sensing wipers and power folding rear seats if they were offered in a 2014, as these are readily available features on Mercedes, Audi and BMW. Having said all that, I am really pleased that Ford makes an SUV that can come so close or exceed those brands. The Sport is just as fast or faster than the base level X5, Q7 and ML350; has most of the same features, has more seats and looks great. You have to spend A LOT more to get a comparably equipped Mercedes, Audi or BMW.

I still think they could have optioned the heated wheel and automatic wipers. I had these features on a Jeep!

Yes, German made cars have always been notoriously expensive to repair. But, I did look at the M5 before getting my Overland. Once all the options were added, I think it was $20-30,000 more.

I guess I'll be waiting 4 years for rain sensing wipers and a heated wheel. I hope I don't miss them too much.

Thanks for the reply,

Mike

Received my Sport last Thursday. Love the vehicle! Despite not having heated wheel and rain sensing wipers. Will also miss auto dimming headlights. I just assumed auto headlights meant they were auto dimming...

One last thing, does anyone find the driver's seat uncomfortable? No matter how I adjust it, there is a pressure point on the back of my leg just above the knee.

Mike

Actually, Ford removed the Climate Control option from the right side of the main dashboard on ALL Explorers for 2014, not just the Sport Model. Have no idea as to why, most likely as they want people to use the Climate Voice commands more and look at the dashboard less.

Anyway, it was pretty useless as you could only control temperature and fan speed with that, nothing else.

I think ford heard the complaints about what was missing in the 2014, because I just got a 2015 sport and it sounds like they added it all back in, plus some! 2015 sport has a heated steering wheel, auto dimming head lights ( also auto brights for when it notices that there are no other vehicles around and road is dark) 2nd row power assist, 3rd power fold. A ton of my ford touch features and my favorite is that when I stop the car and open the drivers door it automatically unlocks all of the rest of the doors. Plus I keep my key attached to my purse at all times. So when I get out of the vehicles I just touch the door handle it automatically locks the vehicle. When I return to the car i just place my hand inside the handle and it automatically unlocks the vehicle. I love this!
My previous vehicle was an expedition limited and it was loaded, but my new vehicle smokes my expedition in technology and everything else. We also have a mustang gt premium convertible California special and a f350 lariat, both told of the line vehicles in their class and the sport is the nicest vehicle I have had so far!
Sounds like you already got the 2014, but for anyone that has the choice between the 2' I say go who the 2015 if you can afford it.

While I agree wholeheartedly with the complaint of unavailable basic options on the SPORT as compared to the Limited there is a specific reason this is done.

Ford marketing wants distinction between the Explorer models.

Its not engineering, its not sales, its marketing.

I have spoken to LOTS of engineers about this very issue as I agree a top of the line SPORT should have things like, rain sense wipers, HID's, PowerFold 2/3 row.

Marketing says the SPORT buyer is different from the Limited buyer.

Hopefully in a few months we will see the 16MY and if those exclusive options to one model become available on all models.

Ford has been bundling options for years. They've probably forgotten why they did it in the first place. I, personally, would have added the $1195 adaptive cruise control to my XLT but wasn't willing to crawl over $4000 in options I didn't want to get there. So, Ford's out of some profit and I'm without the ACC. When it comes down to it; does that make sense? Not to me.

that's just silly.

No it is not. That is why one is called the Sport model, one is the Limited. They ARE supposed to be different.

One is designed for ultra-luxury, the other for sportiness. Lowered suspension, AWS, turbo....those things scream sport.

I see both trims as equal at the top, one for relaxing, one for railing. The Sport is not top dog, nor is the Limited. They are co-equal top-dogs for their area of focus.

Why would they even bother with the Limited if they just made the Sport the same vehicle?

"One is designed for ultra-luxury, the other for sportiness."

Except some of the omissions from the Sport line have been offered & bundled in over the years so that's not an absolute (i.e. heated steering included in the pkg for 2015) and yet some are still missing. As an egregious example of one missing from Sport trim: HIDs. I consider HID's as sporty a requisite as they are a luxury - more so given spirited driving. Ditto with rain sensing wipers (since when is seeing better just a luxury?).

The reason to have both trims, yet while allowing optioning of peripheral accessories, is the drivetrain & suspension setups. Arguably the twin turbo & sport suspension isn't on everyone's wanted list (but it is on mine ;-)

The reason to have both trims, yet while allowing optioning of peripheral accessories, is the drivetrain & suspension setups. Arguably the twin turbo & sport suspension isn't on everyone's wanted list (but it is on mine ;-)

Agreed. I think people just confuse the "well it is more expensive thus it is the top dog vehicle" with that fact that the turbo engine and suspension bits cost more, but as you said they are designed to do two different things, appeal to two different people.

I think the Sport is great, but if all they are going to do is have a frame with nothing but options, what is the point of having trim levels?

I, for one, would love the sport engine but you can keep the suspension, I like the plush ride of the Limited. :)

"I, for one, would love the sport engine but you can keep the suspension, I like the plush ride of the Limited. :) "

All the go but nothing to keep it cornering safely? Naw, you wouldn't want that (that's what Mustangs are for ;-).

Before even considering the Sport I test drove the heck out of it to see if it was compatible with my bad lower back (was directly contrasting to the Ltd). I found it surprisingly plush yet firm enough to make me feel swadled in place through the rolls & turns...and that's before break in. It fit my backside like a glove so admittedly this may be subjective. Yes, I will keep that suspension - it's a welcome feel from the taxi cab mush suspension of my ole daily driver Taurus, where the softness of the suspension & is actually harsher on my back. I'll also note the Sport is much more complaint than my V8 Mountaineer AWD (that I just traded in last Friday).

Anyway I still think that the drivetrain & suspension answers the question of why have those 2 trim levels and will respectfully disagree about options. IMO HIDs are a stupid omission from the Sport - it shrugs off performance minded customers and Ford is leaving money on the table (since it's already a limited option it would be significant increased margins for them to also offer it for the Sport which already has a big alternator, and other supposedly luxury options like heated steering wheel etc). DVD head rests but not HIDs is a really weird mixed message if it's really suppose to be Limited = luxury and Sport = sports'ute. Just watch - next year HIDs & rain sense wipers & lane assist will be an option for top level trims whether they finally go with the new design or if they keep this one for another year.
As for other more obviously luxury only options like hands free parking assist - that I leave to the non Sport minded customers....though Rover includes such things in their highest ticket == highest performance trims so I'm not sure Ford's option suite is as logical as the more they spend on base price the more the high margin options we will offer. <shrug>

Well my sport is no longer eta tomorrow and is instead ETA Saturday which is a bummer.

"I, for one, would love the sport engine but you can keep the suspension, I like the plush ride of the Limited. :) "

All the go but nothing to keep it cornering safely? Naw, you wouldn't want that (that's what Mustangs are for ;-).

Before even considering the Sport I test drove the heck out of it to see if it was compatible with my bad lower back (was directly contrasting to the Ltd). I found it surprisingly plush yet firm enough to make me feel swadled in place through the rolls & turns...and that's before break in. It fit my backside like a glove so admittedly this may be subjective. Yes, I will keep that suspension - it's a welcome feel from the taxi cab mush suspension of my ole daily driver Taurus, where the softness of the suspension & is actually harsher on my back. I'll also note the Sport is much more complaint than my V8 Mountaineer AWD (that I just traded in last Friday).

Anyway I still think that the drivetrain & suspension answers the question of why have those 2 trim levels and will respectfully disagree about options. IMO HIDs are a stupid omission from the Sport - it shrugs off performance minded customers and Ford is leaving money on the table (since it's already a limited option it would be significant increased margins for them to also offer it for the Sport which already has a big alternator, and other supposedly luxury options like heated steering wheel etc). DVD head rests but not HIDs is a really weird mixed message if it's really suppose to be Limited = luxury and Sport = sports'ute. Just watch - next year HIDs & rain sense wipers & lane assist will be an option for top level trims whether they finally go with the new design or if they keep this one for another year.
As for other more obviously luxury only options like hands free parking assist - that I leave to the non Sport minded customers....though Rover includes such things in their highest ticket == highest performance trims so I'm not sure Ford's option suite is as logical as the more they spend on base price the more the high margin options we will offer. <shrug>

Well my sport is no longer eta tomorrow and is instead ETA Saturday which is a bummer.

I do not think an extra 50-ish horsepower is going to over-power the Limited's suspension. Would it handle like a Sport? No, of course not, but it is not going to be a death trap because of the extra HP either.

I drive 40-miles one-way to work everyday, I want plush and luxury, thus my choice of the Limited over the Sport. I just wish it had a bit more ooompph and more importantly the turbos as it seems the vast, vast, vast majority of tunes/go-fast mods are for the Sport (turbo) but very little for the 3.5L NA engine.

As for options, it is simple...they usually weigh more and the intent of the Sport is "sportiness" thus it needs to keep the weight off. With that said, I do see the weirdness in option choices. I just do not see how you basically put everything in every vehicle, as I said before than what is the point of trim-lines?

If a Sport had ALL of the options of the Limited with the bigger engine, what is the point of the Limited? Is the Sport only defined then by the suspension? Why not just make that an option then? Is it still as sporty if you porky-the-pig the vehicle with the options?

I do believe these are the same questions/debates that happen at Ford, and I can see how hard it is to accommodate what everyone wants. I am just happy that Ford got most of it right!

"I do not think an extra 50-ish horsepower is going to over-power the Limited's suspension."

It sure wont help and having driven a V8 SUV during the Explorer rollover period of infamy a sure footed suspension that is very well matched to the powertrain is pretty mission critical. It's 75 more Hp and 95 more ft/lbs or torque and peaks achieved through low lag turbos- if you don't think those matter in how the vehicles are driven, thus how the suspension needs to perform, it's the % difference between a performance tuned V8 mustang and a ho hum driver V6 of past. I suppose some skidpad results would help sort the 2 suspensions. if either of us really cared to explore that (pun not intended ;-)

"but it is not going to be a death trap because of the extra HP either."

I don't think I made that exaggeration (I'm an engineer not a salesman ;-)

"As for options, it is simple...they usually weigh more and the intent of the Sport is "sportiness" thus it needs to keep the weight off. "

I'm talking rain sensing wipers & HID headlamps (yet the Sport has 2nd row console , bucket seat, and DVD entertainment options) so clearly options allowed are not about needing to keep the weight off. If you don't get why HIDs are performance driving then why ignore BLIS & adaptive cruise options are categorically visibility/distance vs speed options too.

"as I said before than what is the point of trim-lines?"

As I answered before a the top spending tiers it's drivetrain & suspension - same with other makes & marks. While I'm sure there are equally confounding examples it's unusual that any make or mark would leave out arguably performance features (HID or smarter wipers) for higher priced higher performance models - Explorer seems like one where the driving sporty experience, and better lighting, has inexplicably escaped the decision makers list. Go figure - maybe we can blame the bean counters again - on a related note I still bet it's something they'll add next year just like this year the Sport got towing std and once LTD only heated steering wheel as an option (which my hands will appreciate this winter on early am or late pm twisty backroads).

"I do believe these are the same questions/debates that happen at Ford, and I can see how hard it is to accommodate what everyone wants. I am just happy that Ford got most of it right! "

Agree - wouldn't if be fun if they listened to some of us (the ones who wanted to spend more for more value added especially - it shouldn't be a hard sell). Yes, they got it mostly right BUT I also note they get it (more options for the Sport) more right each year as is evident by additions YOY. I suppose it's something to throw at buy or leasers when a platform is a otherwise same carryover platform for 4-5 years. I figure since I'm spending ~$50K for a sports-ute and am willing to pay more for options that should/could be as easily offered that I get to complain this time just a little. Doing the HID lamp mods the right way myself is going to be a PITA and as a customer and a F investor I'd have been happy to see these DIY's offered factory. Likewise with the remote app underpinnings that I'm having dealer installed tomorrow.

Ok it' been fun to rap about but it's obviously academic because A) we got what we got B) We get what they give and if we buy it's a proxy of approval C) they don't really listen to end users as much as they should as evident from the Infotainment/UI debacle of the last 5 or so years (not rocket science - and product development & user interfaces is what some of us do for a living so we know so it shouldn't be so fouled up for so long).
Aren't we smart ;-)
Cheers!

On the 2015 models.. Does it come with rain sensing and heated steering wheel auto high beam? On the 2015 ford explorer sport?

Still, separating Limited and Sport in options does not make any bloody sense.
Flex Limited is offered with both 3.5 N/A and Ecoboost and difference between those two just $2900 (Ford Canada). Explorer Sport buyers definitely deserve something better...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

USAINBOLT, the 2015 does NOT have rain sensing wipers. It does have the heated steering wheel and auto high beam plus the power 3rd row is an new option on 2015

Back