• Register Today It's free!

Differential fluid change.

akcrxnj

Reaction score
City, State
Ogdensburg, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
All - I was searching the site looking for a how-too in regards to changing out the fluid in the front and rear diffs. Does anyone know if this information is posted up on forum? Is the fluid change hard to do? I have a 99 explorer sport 4wd. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i believe the front is gonna the bigger PITA since it's stuffed in the front end but basically for either end you remove the bolts from the covers except for a couple at the top just loosen them get your drain bucket underneath and crack open the covers and let it drain out. then remove the covers reseal em bolt then back on and refill the diffs.

about all there is to it not entirely difficult just time consuming.

Dunno about any stickies on here but I sure someone will be along to post one for ya.:shifty_ey

For the rear, remove the cover, drain, clean, reseal, and fill.

For the front, purchase a suction gun, remove the fill plug, fish the hose to the bottom of the housing, and suction the gear lube out. Be sure to have the lube warm first. Alternatively, there are many shops that have a machine that is designed to do all that very easily. Call and ask if they have the capability to service a diff by sucking the old oil out.

x2 on the suction gun. i also used it to fill the rear with fluid, the fill plug on the 8.8 is in a weird spot that makes working on it while laying on your back on gravel kind of a pain.

Thanks all - I have a suction gun and will probably be going that route. One last question I had was what type of gear oil should be used in the diffs?

I was looking at the manual and it states that the front should get 80w90 and the rear either 80w90 or 85w140 + friction modifiers. I noticed some threads where it looks like some forum members just went ahead and used 85w140 in both front and rear. I was thinking of doing this as it would be convenient to use the same oil in both diffs. Is there an issue with running the 85w140 in both front and rear? Lastly I noticed that Royal Purple makes a gear oil which states you do not need any additional friction modifiers.

Royal Purple Gear Oil - http://www.royalpurple.com/gear-oil.html

I have seen posi chattering from Royal Purple in our Cobras. I would use the modifier with it if it were me. You can also add it later if you need it and try it like it is. As to what oil, you are on your own if you deviate from factory recommended fluids. However, let's get real. We all know there are outstanding products we can use. Synthetics for example. I'm not going to tell you to use 85W-140 in the front diff. What I am going to say is there are Explorers running around just fine with it in there. Hope that helps you decide.

Back