jlsparky7

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Woodhaven, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0 XLT AWD
1996 EX XLT 4 door AWD 5.0

Was crawling around under the truck and had a couple questions about changing the front differential fluid.

Can you take the front diff cover off without moving the differential or the front crossmember? Seems like a very tight fit. I would just use a pump and pump the old fluid out and refill it but it looks like the seal is leaking and I need a new cover. Its pretty rusty.

Whats the easiest way to go about changing the front diff cover?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I find it easy just to pump it out. Then stink in a long hose right out the top of the engine compartment. Hookup a bottle and have someone squeeze in the fluid while I watch under the vehicle for it to be full. (looks like an IV drip)

you can't get the cover off (ie. totally removed / replaced) with the axel in place... it has to be dropped.... at least on the 96 4.0 ohv and I suspect others. Of course, the other caution that everyone should do is MAKE SURE THAT YOU CAN GET THE FILLER BOLT OFF BEFORE you break / drain the unit.

budwich makes an excellent point. But if you can't get the plug out, drop the diff and get it to someone who can. Eventually, you are going to have to have that plug out so you can properly fill the unit. I've filled diffs by jacking up one side and pouring oil in the axle tube, install the axle, and go. But you can only do a complete refill that way or you won't know how much oil is in it.

I get the fronts done (I've had more than one Ranger/Explorer) at the Valvoline Qwicky-Lube with a suction machine for about $40. While it might be possible to loosen the cover enough to drain it, it will be impossible to reinstall it in such a manner that it won't leak. There just isn't enough room to clean it and seal it properly.

How do you guys go about sucking out the old fluid? I'm thinking a gas tank siphon device would probably work..

if any one jumps into the fluid change without removing the plug that sucks but drill a hole in the cover and use a rubber expansion plug ( it has a nut and bolt and a thick washer that when the bolt is tight the washer squishes )!! stop working so quick if the surgeon opened you up without knowing if he could fix you you would be dead

Back