• Register Today It's free!

Differential Recomendation

fiveohwv

Reaction score
City, State
Fraziers Bottom, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4wd
I have a 2004 XLT with the Control Trac 4wd. What axles and differentials do these things have? Also can anybody recommend good limited slip differentials for these?

Normally I put a limited slip in the back and a locker up front since if you're shifting into 4wd you probably need the extra traction anyway and you're on a surface that isn't going to damage your differential.

Not sure about that with the full time 4wd though. Does anybody know if a front locker would cause problems with this setup?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your rear already has an LSD.

You either have a 3.55 or a 3.73 rear. I'm just taking a guess that it's going to be the 3.73 (axle code D4) because it's the 04 4x4 with Control Trac. Also an even easier way to tell (if you don't want to look at your axle code) is if you have the 2" square towing receiver...then you have the 3.73 rear LSD diff.

I need to know this also. I have never been able to find a front locker. I not even sure what the front diff is, I.E. a dana, 7.5, etc????

No LSD on mine.

Mine has open differentials on both ends. I know since I've already been stuck, lol. Driver's side rear and passenger side front are the drive tires.

The limited slip was an option but I can't find any hard data as far as sizes. Somebody told me it was a dana 35 but I think the 2003 was the last year for that. Anybody with more info please post.

That's what I was afraid of.

Thanks for the info techieman. I was afraid it would be something like that.

I wonder if you could retro fit a standard dana 35 differential into it?

Mine has open differentials on both ends. I know since I've already been stuck, lol. Driver's side rear and passenger side front are the drive tires.
The Ford (and most) Limited Slip unit can still exhibit this behavior - its not a 100% lock unit. I think "Limited Slip" is a misnomer, it really should be called "Limited Grip" because it is "locked" until a certain point -- when the friction between the clutch discs (provided in part by the "S" spring's force) is overcome, then the differential acts as an open differential.

Back