• Register Today It's free!

Disable Auto 4x4 on 02 XLT 4.0L

bax4bux

Reaction score
City, State
North California
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT 4.0L
I'm trying to disable my auto 4x4 to see if that or a wheel bearing is causing a 70 mph noise. I've read that fuse #17 and 18 are the ones to disable the auto 4x4.

My 02 owner's guide says #17 (delayed acc. coil, battery saver, interior lamps), and #18 (left horn). That doesn't sound right. The only fuses that say anything about 4x4 are #12 (foglamp switch, 4x4 module), #15 (4x4, memory seat disable), and #29 (4x4, GEM module signal, ABS control module, moon roof). So what's the right fuses to pull to disable the auto 4x4?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You want the power fuses #17 and #18. Those are in the j-box next to the battery, under the hood. Look ahead a page or two in your Owner's Guide. Let us know what you find out when you disable it. Good luck.

your going to need to do the brown wire mod unlessy our ok with disabling things other than just the auto 4x4. check the modified page.

your going to need to do the brown wire mod unlessy our ok with disabling things other than just the auto 4x4. check the modified page.

Looks like a good mod. If I unplug the fuses, what other things other than the auto 4x4 are being disabled? I would imagine the 4x4 high/low functions are disabled... anything else?

I just want to temporarily disable it to see if that stops the noise. If it does stop the noise, does that mean that my auto4x4 is stuck on? When I'm driving straight at 70 mph on the freeway (when I hear the noise), the clutch should be disengaged and in 2wd, right?

Looks like a good mod. If I unplug the fuses, what other things other than the auto 4x4 are being disabled? I would imagine the 4x4 high/low functions are disabled... anything else?

I just want to temporarily disable it to see if that stops the noise. If it does stop the noise, does that mean that my auto4x4 is stuck on? When I'm driving straight at 70 mph on the freeway (when I hear the noise), the clutch should be disengaged and in 2wd, right?

Just pull the fuses....you will be fine....there are quite a few of us who run 3rd gen's with #17 and #18 pulled out...

You will likely see the 4x4 lights flashing and you may see the 4x4 Low light stay on....but for your purposes...you want to disengage 4x4 just to check some things out, pull the fuses. And as said above, it's the fuses next to the battery....not in the cab.

Pulling #17 and #18 does not disable "other things" besides what's being said here, which is the 4x4.....

The sound is still there after pulling the fuses. It's louder in right curves and sounds like it's coming from the left rear. It was also louder with a heavy load. Sounds like a rear wheel bearing?

A search (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226108&highlight=rear+bearing) reveals that changing the rear wheel bearing makes changing the front look like a picnic. A shop quoted me $550 to do the whole job. I wonder if it would be easier to buy a new knuckle/hub assembly instead of trying to press the parts out and in. I'd like to do the whole job but it sounds like $550 might be worth it.

If you're a backyard mechanic, how long did it take you to do this job and would you do it again?

The sound is still there after pulling the fuses. It's louder in right curves and sounds like it's coming from the left rear. It was also louder with a heavy load. Sounds like a rear wheel bearing?

A search (Noise diagnosis - wheel bearing???) reveals that changing the rear wheel bearing makes changing the front look like a picnic. A shop quoted me $550 to do the whole job. I wonder if it would be easier to buy a new knuckle/hub assembly instead of trying to press the parts out and in. I'd like to do the whole job but it sounds like $550 might be worth it.

If you're a backyard mechanic, how long did it take you to do this job and would you do it again?
$550 is a deal this job sucks without a lift

Back