Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Austin,Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Nav, 99 Mounty, 98 Ex
I am purchasing a 98 Explorer that was abandoned from a Wrecker company was in a small wreck. The Explorer has no keys and I want to remove the PATS System perminately. Does any one have an Idea how to do this. I am Not worryed about Theft or any thing I just have no need for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm... Because the PATS interfaces so heavily with the GEM and PCM, that's going to be a toughie. It may be possible to permanently bypass it using a black-box or tone ring from an aftermarket alarm system, but I don't know of any way to completely remove the system. It doesn't look like it would be very easy....

-Joe

I can think of one way that you could do it, but you would need at least one programed key. First, make a few copies of the key (on a regular key, not a pats key). Then cut the pats key so that you are left with just the top of the key which holds the pats info. I am talking abou the top black plastic part of the key. If you somehow mount this part of the pats key inside your steering column close enough to the ignition, the key copies will work without needing the pats programming. I set a honda accord up like this one time so that it could work without the pats key in place for a remote starter system, and it worked fine.

rhyno - it has no keys. so he cant do that with getting one from the stealership.

kris see if you can google some remote starter diagrams that should get you an idea of what wires to bypass to ground. About 90% of the stuff coming off the gem goes to the ground side to complete the circut. (i know not a very clear way to put it)

Another place to look is the ford cd in the wireing.

If i had time i'd boot to windows and load the cd.

hope this helps

Fit the pre PATS system from an earlier model.

rhyno - it has no keys. so he cant do that with getting one from the stealership.

I know he has no keys, I was just saying..... It may be a lot simpler to buy a pats key off ebay for 15 bux and have it programed than to try and disable the pats system properly. Depends on if Kris wants to spend more time or more money on the issue. ;)

I posted a copy of the PATS wiring schematic in my Yahoo briefcase. Go to Briefcase.yahoo.com/gijoecam, then click on 'My Documents' and then again on '98 Explorer PATS' and it should open the PDF image file.

It looks like you *may* be able to get around the ECU by bypassing the + and - wires to the PCM, but I'm wondering how it may affect the GEM. I don't think you could just bypass the transciever in the column, unless you used a tone ring from an aftermarket alarm. I know the Ford/Code-alarm kits use a tone generator, but they probably need to be connected to the alarm to generate said signal to the transciever in the column.

Good luck with this one!

-Joe

Thanks Guys looks like its gonna me more difficult then I thought it would be. so Sadly it looks like I will be taking a wrecked Truck on a Trailer to the stealership and get them to make and program keys :(

Call around and get some prices... a locksmith that does on-site work may be able to come out, make a key that fits the door lock tumbler, and then program them into the PATS system. From the factory, one key should have fit both the door locks and the ignition, but it's easier to extract the door tumbler to measure the pins and cut the key.

It may be worth a phone call or two. By the time you add up the cost of the wrecker plus the time and labor at the stealership, it may be cheaper to let the locksmith come out to you.

-Joe

Well I called my parts guy at the Dealership. he said he might be able to help me with this and I dont have to worry about towing this Explorer. He Said he would cut me two Keys for the truck by the Vin #. Then Second I might get his Friend that programs the cars to do that for me free were the Explorer is at.

So I might get all this Done for $50.00 if so I will just do that. less head ache too.

Back