Disc stuck to the axle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disc stuck to the axle

New Madrid

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Oh man! Does anyone know any tricks to get a rusty disc brake off the axle? I've got a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4wd sitting in front of my place with the rear-driver-side wheel off. The disc is covered in penetrating spray. If hit it many times with a hammer. I've got a little bit of budge, but still can't get it off completely.

I know this is the car gods way of punishing me for not changing the disc earlier, but I'm hoping some saint can redeem me.

Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bigger hammer New Mardrid, a bigger hammer ;) - especially if you're going to trash the disc anyway. A few years ago, a shop had to crack an old set of discs to get it off.

If the big hammer doesn't work, try a bigger hammer, that almost never fails...

Have you backed off the emergency brake shoes?

:bsnicker::banghead: Now that would be funnny! (It's ok, I'm allowed to laugh at him, I'm in the club- I've done it!)

Seriously though, everybody's right, keep wacking with the hammer. If it already moved a little, then they should come off with enough "hammer-time" Also, remember to alternate blows from side to side, so it doesn't get ****ed one way or the other and jammed up on the studs. And yeah, you will be buying new rotors. I would also say it's a safe assumption that you'll be needing new e-brake shoes and hardware. ( You know it's much easier to do w/ the rear axle shafts removed right?)

Turns out hammering, and hammering some more did the trick. The emergency drum brake was frozen to it. Don't know how that happened. I'm sure the neighbors were happy when it finally came off.

All right, I admit. It was the emergency brake. Damn. I'm humbled.

Totally exhausted. Thanks for the advice. -New Madrid

Back