• Register Today It's free!

How to get rear discs off?

Bored_2wd

Reaction score
City, State
Westmont, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger
ok, I've got a ranger truck w/Explorer rear axle. I'm interested in checking out the parking brake stuff, since it hasn't been hooked up since I put the axle in. How in the hell do I get the rear discs off the truck to inspect it?
These discs are ON THERE. I've had them off once, so I know there is no clip left to deal with, holding it in. Is there an easy way? Short of removing the axle shafts and having them pressed off, any ideas?
--Bob

I assume you are referring to the rotors?
If so the easiest way to remove them (once the caliper and caliper mounting bracket have been removed) is to hit the "hat" with a 3lb. sledge. The "hat" is the portion that is rusted to the axle. Just hit the flat surface between the studs untill the rotor pops loose. Penatrating oil (WD40) will help loosten the rotor.

I strongly suggest that you adjust back the emergency brake before banging the rotor. There is an opening at the back covered with ruber and you can use an adjusting tool for that.

Thanks for the tip, I adjusted the parking brake calipers down quite a bit when I first installed the rotors. I've never had a parking brake working on this axle, but I found a place that will make the exact cable, to the length I want it. Inline Tube in Frasier Michigan. They quoted me about 100 bucks to do it, way way too much but I've run out of options, NO year explorer/ranger parking brake cable will fit. They are either too short or have the wrong fittings. So it looks like it's 100 bucks to get a parking brake on my truck. Oh well. It's just that since the brake hasn't been working for a while, I want to inspect the pivot points, springs, etc and make sure when they go on that they don't get stuck on and drag. How strong is the parking brake, anyway? The brake shoes are really small, not like parking brakes that use the drum brakes.

Back